Classe DR-8/DR-9 or Krell KSA 50 for Apogees?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dr Rock, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Hi all,

Just wondering how 1 (or maybe a pair) of Classe Dr 8's or 9's would compare against 1x Krell KSA 50 running Apogee Calipers?

Front end is much modified Arcam Alpha 5+ CD and Manticore Mantra TT with Magnepan Unitrac and Grado Black.

I'm just trying to get a handle on how to maybe improve? the sound....

Cheers,

Fraser

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
    Dr Rock, Nov 16, 2007
  2. Dr Rock

Stereo Mic

Hi,

The Caliper was, IIRC a nominal 3 ohm load, so not as tough as the original Scintilla, but it still used to eat the KSA50 and Apogee generally recommended the KSA100.

I've heard a lot of people are getting excellent results with switching amps driving Apogees - so I'd try and hear something like the Tact SDA2175 and maybe a Bel Canto or two along side the Krell. My experience of Classe was that it was not that great into difficult loads, but I never tried the model you refer to - only the CAV150 and Omega Monos.

Stereo Mic, Nov 18, 2007
  3. Dr Rock

RobHolt Moderator

You are looking in entirely the wrong direction.
    You are feeding Apogees the signal from a £50 Grado cartridge on a decent if unspectacular TT.
    Unless you cannot drive the Apogee with your current amp you really should sort out the vinyl front end first.

RobHolt, Nov 18, 2007
  4. Dr Rock

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I entirely agree with Rob - you need a much better front end.

YNMOAN, Nov 18, 2007
  5. Dr Rock

rollo

I,m with Rob as well. When the front end is bettered you might consider a Parasound JC1, Rowland. If your into Tubes a CJ amp has a nice synergy as well.

rollo

rollo, Nov 18, 2007
  6. Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Yup, fair enough guys. I was just thinking, that's all :)

TT is the top of the list of things to change: currently on the shortlist are Michell Gyro with the Unitrac or VPI Scout with its JMW arm....

Calipers are 2.5 to 4 ohm load, nominally 3ohm, so they are really an easy load to drive, provided the amp can deal with the low impedances. The KSA50 is doing fine with them....

Dr Rock, Nov 18, 2007
  7. Dr Rock

Garmt

I would say the Krell will do better. Keep it. It's a classic! Agree about the front end bits. Buy a good pre-amp as well of course!

Garmt, Nov 22, 2007
  8. Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Pre amp is an ARC SP8. So far it is doing the business! Treating the room with bass traps etc has made a massive improvement...

Dr Rock, Nov 22, 2007
Ask a Question