Classic FM CDs

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by BlueMax, Nov 11, 2004.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax

I am thinking of getting some “Hall of Fame†CD sets by Classic FM.

Classic FM CDs may not be the experts choice but they look like an introduction to popular classical music pieces by various composers and also suitable for casual listening.

However, I don't know about their quality. Classic FM broadcasts sound as if they are tweaked. Does this also apply to their CDs?

Thanks.

BlueMax, Nov 11, 2004
  2. BlueMax

PeteH Natural Blue

I've seen quite a few of the Classic FM CDs getting good reviews in the Penguin Guide (the Mendelssohn 3rd and 4th symphonies with the Ulster Orchestra are supposed to be particularly good IIRC). I can't see why their CDs should be as heavily compressed as their radio broadcasts either.

If I were you though I wouldn't limit myself to only looking at the Classic FM discs - there are so, so many really good classical CDs out there at bargain prices that you shouldn't have any difficulty finding what you're looking for on pretty much any of the major labels.

PeteH, Nov 11, 2004
Ask a Question