Compact standmount speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by record_spot, Jun 11, 2014.

1. record_spot

record_spot

I'm currently, as per the signature line below, using a pair of Tannoy DC4 speakers, mainly through necessity as my listening position in my room is across the width about six feet away from me, as opposed to firing down the (longer) length.

I've been well impressed by the Tannoys having owned them for the last couple of years. They remind me of the musicality of Mission's legendary 75 series (having owned the original 751 and 752) and they are a remarkably easy, but insightful listen.

So, naturally, I'm thinking about upgrading! Apart from the Kensai, what other diminutive, but brilliant speakers - new or used - should I be looking at.

Requirements: prefer a real wood finish, not fussy for white gloss thank you, sealed or ported, front port might be better, albeit my existing DC4 is rear ported (however, the thump is noticeable off-axis and they already sit two feet out from the wall!).

I'm no bass fiend, but prefer an articulate and accurate bass. Bright speakers not required, in terms of sound and finish(!), metal dome tweeters are welcome (the original 751 came with such a tweeter and it was a lovely sounding box).

So....suggestions maybe? Budget is around £1000, the Kensai is an exception but I live in hope of an ex-demo. Happy to spend significantly less however!

EDIT: Some examples:-

In: PSB Imagine Mini, Klipsch WB14

Out: Tannoy DC6 (too big), Cambridge Aero 2 (too big, but looks like an interesting proposition for others!).

record_spot, Jun 11, 2014
  2. record_spot

Tenson Moderator

Hi Record_spot,

I do actually have one pair of ex-demo Kensai that have Beech wood side panels and black leather centre band. I can do them for £1000.

If you are interested I can send you some pictures. They are in great condition except a couple of subtle scuffs on the bottom edge.

Tenson, Jun 16, 2014
  3. record_spot

record_spot

Hi Tenson, thanks for the message. Really forry for the delayed reply, been busy at work and not had time to devote here. Photos would be nice, if you're happy to send some. Is there any chance I can try them out in my room? Happy to work out the finer points by PM if you like.

record_spot, Jun 19, 2014
  4. record_spot

Tenson Moderator

May I suggest we switch to email? Please contact me at the address on the AudioSmile website and I'll reply with some photos.

Regards,
    Simon

Tenson, Jun 20, 2014
Ask a Question