Computer>DAC, sound connections.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by adam, Jun 19, 2004.

1. adam

adam

Having my computer close to my HiFi I thought I would do as others and use it like a audio server.Currently I have a Creative lab sound card with breakout box and would like to eventually change it for something better.

The offboard dac is the Cal Audio Alpha,but I'm not sure what are the connections I need to make.I've bought a 5m long digi 75ohm cable pluged it into the Cal and the SPIDF out? on my PC,the cal doesn't seem to like it,by making a lot of clicking noises.I think this is due to not recieving the correct signal.

Apart from that what other connections do I need to make?I guess the amp to? but to where?not the AUX RCA in on the breakout box?

Any help and correct procedure would be greatly appreciated.

adam, Jun 19, 2004
  2. adam

julian2002 Muper Soderator

connection should go
    pc digital out -> cal digital in
    cal analog outs -> amp line ins (aux or whatever).

if you are getting strange noises or nothing make sure your sound card is outputting pcm data at 16 bit / 44.1khz and not different sample rates / bit widths or dolby digital or dts.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 19, 2004
  3. adam

adam

Thanxs Julian.

I've made thoes connections,DAC to CD on amp,but I can't see how I see what the breakout is outputting,it's only a Creative lab sounblaster and it doesn't appear to have any options on what signal it outputs,just clicking from the cal,so it's outputting something,just not the right thing!

adam, Jun 20, 2004
  4. adam

Rory satisfied

computers output sound at 48khz. If your dac can't handle 48khz, therein lies your problem.

however, i can change the sampling rate of my pc, but then, i have a Terratec DMX6fire so it is possible if you don't mind upgrading your s/card...

Rory, Jun 20, 2004
  5. adam

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I would definitely say change the soundcard if you want anything approaching the best transport quality - although a solution like the Hifi link Pro should give you a decent quality digital output, for a relatively low price.

Make sure you have it plugged into the right hole, and there may be options somewhere to enable digital out, doesnt it have any control panel with such options in?

PBirkett, Jun 20, 2004
Ask a Question