Confused and Inexperienced

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gords, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Gords

Gords

Hello everyone, a newbie here.
    I am hoping that someone can help me.
    I have a videoke set-up.
    HDD karaoke player, Yamaha 4 channel mixer, 1000W amplifier.
    I have the karaoke machine and two microphones in the mixer, using XLR connectors for the microphones.
    The problem is when the karaoke machine is playing, if I turn any of the microphones on or off, the music stops for a few seconds.
    It is making people miss the beginning of their songs.
    Can anyone shed any light on what the problem is, or how I can solve it ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gords, Mar 20, 2021
  2. Gords

Sergeauckland

Can you let us know which Yamaha mixer and which Karaoke player? Also, which microphones might be relevant, but less likely.

Also, can you tell whether turning the microphone on stops the player playing for a few seconds, or the player still plays, but is muted.

One more thing, how do you turn on/off the microphone? Is this a switch on the mic, or do you use the mixer fader or mixer channel on-off switch?

It's going to be difficult to diagnose remotely, but I'll have a go if you can post answers to the above.

S.

Sergeauckland, Mar 20, 2021
  3. Gords

Gords

The mixer is a Yamaha F4, the karaoke player is a Platinum Major HD10 HDD, microphones are Sony Professional dynamic heavy duty, 5 metre mic leads with XLR connectors either end.

I am unsure whether the player stops or is muted, sorry.

I am turning the microphones on/off by the microphone switch, however, when I have the microphone sliders totally off there is no stoppage. When the volume slider is in the normal singing position, and you turn the microphone on/off via the microphone switch there is a loud crack and the music stops, or is muted, and it happens with both microphones.

I understand how difficult it is to remotely diagnose problems without having the items there physically, however, any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Gords, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Gords

Sergeauckland

I'll have a read through the manuals, and get back to you, but the immediate thought I have is that you may have the 48V phantom power turned on, on the mic inputs. The on-off switch could just short out the microphone, which is sensible as a way of muting the mic, but it will royally screw up phantom power, hence the loud crack. As your microphones are dynamic, not condenser, you don't need phantom power, and it's much better is that's turned off. It's the small switch labelled 48V.

Try that first and let me know.

S.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Sergeauckland, Mar 20, 2021
    Ian likes this.
  5. Gords

Gords

I didn't even think about phantom power, as the mics are dynamic I didn't switch, or check dynamic power.
    I'll check it out and let you know what happens

Gords, Mar 20, 2021
  6. Gords

Gords

S,
    "It's going to be difficult to diagnose remotely, but I'll have a go if you can post answers to the above."

You grossly underestimate your powers of remote deduction.
    Checked the 48V phantom power and found it to be on, after switching off, no more problems.

You are the man S.

Many thanks.

Gords, Mar 21, 2021
    Ian and Sergeauckland like this.
Ask a Question