Congratulations, Michaelab and TonyL

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tones, Nov 28, 2003.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

I think it's been said elsewhere recently, but I would like to record a vote of thanks to the two gents hereinabove mentioned (nice bit of patentese there!) for what appear to me to be the two best hi-fi forums around, ZeroGain and Pink Fish, both with a nice cross-section of contributors, embracing every shade of opinion and belief in both equuipment and music, and enabling civilised discourse to take place. Guys, well done and thank you and keep up the good work.

Honourable mention to Joel of course, whose establishment of Groovehandle after HFC threw one of its periodic funnies led to ZeroGain.

tones, Nov 28, 2003
  2. tones

sideshowbob Trisha

From the subject line I thought you were going to announce they were getting married.

What a thought. A doomed flat/round romance, leading to oval kids, no doubt.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 28, 2003
  3. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Coming from Belfast, Ian, I know well that these mixed marriages never work!

Moreover, it's much worse than you think! A marriage of analogue and digital! Would the DAC64 work in reverse with the LP12? Would the world as we know it end at this point? Would a squadron of pigs be seen doing a barrel roll over London? Or obscene? (Stay under cover!!).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2003
    tones, Nov 28, 2003
  4. tones

michaelab desafinado

:lol: - I'm not as round earth as you might think you know Ian (allthough I'll admit my 'tagline' on PFM is "round earth ambassador")

Thanks Tones for your kind words :shame:

I should add that ZG would never have happened without Joel and GrooveHandle before it.

As I've said before though - it's the members who contribute that really make the forum what it is :)

It's been getting so popular recently I think I may soon have to up my bandwidth allowance :eek:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 28, 2003
  5. tones

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Do you have unlimited bandwidth or is their a limit? I have 100mb a month on my account it and I am already aproaching its limits. My other account is unlimited bandwidth but of course there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth its just a term. So I have to be careful as the hosting company will just pull the plug on it.

A lot of people forget about all the costs of running a popular site or forum. People are to used to getting stuff for free on the net. Lets just hope the traffic eases of a little as it will be such a shame to loose this forum.

amazingtrade, Nov 28, 2003
  6. tones

michaelab desafinado

I have 10Gb per month of bandwidth :MILD: If I upgrade the account it goes upto 40Gb a month. It's with www.oneandone.co.uk

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 28, 2003
  7. tones

penance Arrogant Cock

i thought it was all free,
    i got the whole interweb on a CD from AOL and that was free:confused: :p

penance, Nov 28, 2003
  8. tones

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Hosting is a pretty expensive thing, 10GB a month is a lot of data that needs to be transfered from the hosting companies servers onto the clients (i.e you). The free webspace you get with your ISP usually only supportd HTML and no server side langauges such as ASP or PHP. Also the bandwidth limite is usually somthing stupid like 10MB a month. Which is pretty useless for any website these days. On top that the software in this case the forum ibulliten needs to be paid for.

It costs me around £30 a year to run my parents business website but its only HTML based and it dosn't much traffic.

I remember back in the days when it cost well in excess of £100 just to register a domain name. In the good old days of Netscape and Mosiac. I feel old:)

amazingtrade, Nov 28, 2003
  9. tones

penance Arrogant Cock

but
    but
    my interweb was free:confused:

penance, Nov 28, 2003
  10. tones

MO! MOnkey`ead!

OK, seeming as no one else has given you the laughter you crave.....

:ffrc:

MO!, Nov 28, 2003
  11. tones

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

I'll second Tone's motion. Here is a place where civilized discussions are actually taking place. And, of course, it is all Michael's generosity (and so was Joel's before him) and the very subtle way the forum is being moderated.

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 30, 2003
  12. tones

joel Shaman of Signals

Great job Tony and Michael.
    I second RdS' point about the subtle moderation on here.
    I think it's fair to say that people cooled down and looked at their own behaviour after GH imploded.
    That said, the moderation on ZG is the best I have come across on any forum anywhere.

joel, Nov 30, 2003
  13. tones

Markus S Trade

I agree the discourse is mostly civilised. Where it isn't, the modeartion may be a bit too subtle currently.

Markus S, Dec 2, 2003
  14. tones

michaelab desafinado

Markus - the two people you may be referring to have just been banned :) Much as I wanted to avoid banning people I feel I was left with no choice on this occasion.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 2, 2003
  15. tones

Markus S Trade

I'm glad to see the ban is temporary.

Markus S, Dec 2, 2003
Ask a Question