Connecting modern sources to Quad gear...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daws0n, Jan 8, 2009.

1. daws0n

daws0n

Hey fellas,

Heard a friend's 34/306 system over Christmas and was really impressed, so I've decided to buy a similar setup for my 2nd system.

Have just bought a 34 pre, and have decided on a 405 since the 306s seem to be a lot scarcer (are these better or worse than the 405s?). Anyways, I've been reading up a bit and it seems like the 34 pre is very picky with modern sources because of the input sensitivity?

I plan to connect it to an old trichord DAC as my main source, it's quiter than some CDPs but I'd imagine it'll cause the same trouble. How can I get around this without soldering/opening up the pre?

Thanks,
    Dawson

daws0n, Jan 8, 2009
  2. daws0n

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hi

You can get DIN to RCA cables on Ebay, and I know Chord do a Crimson interconnect. I think some quad uses 5 pin DINs and other Quads use 4 pins, so I'd do some asking. Why not get it from the horses mouth and call Quad, theres generally some boffin in a back room!

Dooleys Hifi in Macclesfield sell Quad, I know Peters very good on technical stuff on anything I've asked.

SMEagol, Jan 8, 2009
  3. daws0n

Seeker_UK

A 306 is newer so will probably be in better condition - one of the themes that gets repeated about 405s is that they sound good but could benefit from a damn good servicing and some tweaking.

(Mind you, couldn't we all ;))

Seeker_UK, Jan 8, 2009
  4. daws0n

la toilette Downright stupid

If you need cables then try these guys:
    http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/index.html

I think I bought an attenuated din-phono lead from them (might still have it somewhere in fact). Is your 34 din or phono?

Dave

la toilette, Jan 9, 2009
  5. daws0n

demandcurve

A word of caution if buying Chord or any DIN terminated cables: the Quad DIN pin sockets (and so cables) are not necessarily wired the same as NAIM DIN pin sockets.

I don't remember which cables are interchangeable between DIN NAIM and Quad. I think the 5 pins could be same (source connectors) and the 4 pins are not (output connectors). 95% sure NAIM & Quad 4 DIN sockets are wired differently.

In short, check with Chord or Flashback sales before buying a DIN cable.

Regards,
    Tony

demandcurve, Jan 12, 2009
  6. daws0n

tones compulsive cantater

Do not merely try them, embrace them wholeheartedly. Dave Laine of Flashvback is a top operator, delivering high-quality products at excellent prices. All my Quad stuff with DIN plugs is joined up with Flashback products.

tones, Jan 12, 2009
  7. daws0n

demandcurve

another vote for FlashBack sales!

I have a FB interconnect which with my DIN 34 is the equal of £000 modern preamp + fancy cable substituted from time to time.

Not wishing to initiate a cable debate, 5 years back I found FB's "Naim quality" £26 wire was preferred in a blind listening test over FB's standard quality £18 interconnect.

The voting in favour of the "Naim quality" wire was conclusive to a cable sceptic like me, at 24 votes to nil! Result would have been 36-nil if I voted although I knew which cable was being used. The higher quality interconnect is a twisted pair, I don't rightly remember but believe the cheaper wasn't.

Long may Flashback prosper. The sent me both cables on sale-or-return basis.

Tony

demandcurve, Jan 12, 2009
  8. daws0n

zanash

but tones....you've been telling everyone for years that cables make no difference ...

why the change of heart?

if they make no difference then any old cable will do just as well as an expensive item from flashbum or chard etc

zanash, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question