Connecting multiple outputs to a Music First TVC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lbr, Jul 4, 2008.

1. lbr

lbr monkey boy

My MF TVC has both balanced and single ended outputs. One of these runs to my power amp and the other is unused. At some point, I'd like to experiment with using the other output to power the active subs in my horn speakers directly.

I've never done this because the manual for the preamp has the following (in bold type...)

"Only ever connect one output (balanced OR unbalanced) at a time, use of both outputs at once is NOT recommended and may cause damage to any equipment connected to the Passive Magnetic Pre-amplifier"

That's enough to scare me off, but I was wondering what damage could be caused? Any ideas?

lbr, Jul 4, 2008
  2. lbr

hifi addict

I remember Johnathan telling me , but for the life of me I can't remember. I have used both at the same time without a problem. I must state this is not recommended and I may have been lucky and got away with it. (Have I back pedaled enough?)

Give them a call on Monday.

hifi addict, Jul 5, 2008
  3. lbr

lbr monkey boy

Aye - suitably caveated :D

Thanks - I'll give them a call.

lbr, Jul 5, 2008
  4. lbr

Tenson Moderator

It will increase the current draw on the source. It will also essentially half the load impedance seen by the source. At low volume settings that may not be a problem but as you approach the 1:1 transformer ratio (zero attenuation) it will be a harder load to drive.

I would think it is unlikely to damage your equipment, but if it makes funny sounds turn it off! (and don't blame me!)

Oh, it will also probably force the balanced output in to single ended mode.

Tenson, Jul 5, 2008
  5. lbr

Parkandbike

I wanted to do the same thing and discussed it with Jonthan, who was extremey helpful. I was told that, if you only want single-ended connections, you can use the balanced out-put socket to provide an additional single-ended signal to a second amp owing to the way the grounds are connected in this condition. That is exactly what I am doing and it's fine. I should stress this is with the MK111 transformer and things may not be the same with MkII or MkI.

MF have also replaced balanced outputs with additional single ended outputs, but obviously there's a charge for that.

Parkandbike, Jul 6, 2008
  6. lbr

lbr monkey boy

Been to the Music First website and notice that they're releasing (in two or three weeks time apparently) a MkII preamp (and rebranding the MkI as Classic) which has dual single ended and dual balanced outputs for bi-amping.

Must have read my mind (or my post, but I doubt their product development is quite that quick!)

lbr, Jul 8, 2008
  7. lbr

anubisgrau

sure you can connect it without any danger of damaging things, however your amps might be in trouble in case they don't like to be fed with a higher imp pre so they will perform at least different.

anubisgrau, Jul 10, 2008
Ask a Question