Crackling from speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Corruption, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Corruption

Corruption

Yesterday I noticed for the first time a crackling sound coming from my right 'speaker in between changing disks. The sound disappeared after about 10 seconds, but then after some investigation I found that both speakers have the same crackling if I leave the source off but turn my pre-amp volume dial up to maximum. I never usually turn the volume pot past 10 o'clock on the pre-amp, so naturally this was a bit of a surprise to me. The right 'speaker crackle is louder than the left, but both are noticeable with the volume turned all the way up. I can't hear anything with the volume in a "normal" position, i.e. under 1 o'clock.

The crackle is only noticeable from the "cd" input, and only when the CD player is switched on. Given that I have never noticed this before, is it likely that this noise is being created by the tube output stage in the CD player - the sound only appears about 30 seconds after the CDP is switched on - i.e. after the valve has gone though its warm-up stage.

Plugging the CDP into a different pre-amp input still maintains the same sound when the volume is turned up beyond 1 o'clock when the pre-amp is switched to that input.

Can anyone tell me if this is anything to worry about? Does the valve need replacing or re-seating or is this completely normal for valve-equipped kit?

Thanks all

Neil

Corruption, Sep 7, 2008
  2. Corruption

Corruption

A quick update - I have tried some different interconnects and the same ocurrs, so that's them ruled out.

Also, the noise is more like "white noise/static" than just a crackle. Now it seems to be fluctuating in volume, sometimes audible when the volume is set low - 8 o'clock or so, sometimes it only becomes apparent when the volume is turned up higher....

Corruption, Sep 7, 2008
  3. Corruption

spica

I have the same problem (or similar) when using my old Philips CD104, a white noise slowly builds and peaks, i switch the unit off and power up again (a few times) and the noise goes. Something isn't firing up properly, suppose i should come around to doing some investigation but my power fix will suffice for now.
    Sorry i can't be of further help... .

spica, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Corruption

defride

I had a similar prob with a Copland 822. Absolute Sounds said it was a DAC issue and sent it back to Copland - 9 months later they sent it back. The dealer powered it up only to find no improvement. They replaced it with an 823. Not much help but you might investigate the DAC I guess?

defride, Sep 8, 2008
  5. Corruption

Samantha

I had this a while back.

I pulled my preamp valves and then re-seated and it was all fine. I replaced them not too long after and had no problems since.

Samantha, Sep 8, 2008
  6. Corruption

Neil

Just what Samantha said!

Neil, Sep 8, 2008
  7. Corruption

D Louth 77

Hi Corruption

I would try replacing the valve/valves and see if the noise goes away . At first glance it sounds like a valve on its way out/or gone microphonic . However it might be something else . You could try re seating the valves ,like Samantha did , maybe clean the pins . If after this still crackling ,replace .

Regards d Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 8, 2008
  8. Corruption

lbr monkey boy

Hi Neil,

Nothing to add to the good advice posted so far, but in response to your specific question...

... definitely not - it needs sorting by the sounds of it!

Lee

lbr, Sep 8, 2008
  9. Corruption

Corruption

Thanks for the responses everyone, kind of confirms what I suspected to be the issue.

As a follow up, as a complete novice with valves is this something I should really attempt myself or seek expert assistance? It looks simple enough to remove the CDP lid (a few screws), am I likely to damage the valve further if I remove it?
    Should I wear gloves? How do I tell if the valve needs to be replaced completely?

Any advice appreciated.

Neil

Corruption, Sep 8, 2008
  10. Corruption

Samantha

With my valves, I jusy made sure everything off (obviously) then a gentle pull and they came straight off.
    I didn't wear gloves, but then I knew I was intending to replace soon.

When I handle the 845s (power stage) I do use a cloth, but they are huge bright things and finger prints would be obvious.

There will prob be instructions on replacing in your manual I would think. I only got my amp last year, so novice too - if I can do it, I am sure you can. :)

Samantha, Sep 9, 2008
  11. Corruption

A.N.

just dont touch anything else, esp the caps inside, they contain lethal voltages!
    just grip the tubes gently between finger and thumb, and gently rock while pulling. to put them back in, just push down until there home :)

A.N., Sep 9, 2008
  12. Corruption

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Hold by the bases of the valves if possible, not the glass.

Purite Audio, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question