Crazy But Not So Crazie Idea.......

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Nov 3, 2010.

1. nando

nando nando

hi rob,simon and bottleneck and others, what i have in mind is for us at ZG to make and design a unique pre-amp that has both facilities , tone controls that can be activated as used or by-passed, and i have diagrams on circuit devices, then if we can come together to create this beast we can market it as "THE ZERO GAIN REFERENCE" vews please, i think we can, no DO NOT CONTACT THE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE"

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  2. nando

pete693

Sounds good as long as you remember that a camel is a horse designed by a committee!

pete693, Nov 3, 2010
  3. nando

nando nando

of course, i have done it before for well known manufacturers, this is not a trojan horse, a commitee we are all equal to the project,

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  4. nando

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Nov 3, 2010
  5. nando

nando nando

simon, that is a toy,think of a mega pre-amp with seperate dual psu capable of powering both tone section and pre-amp by-pass in such specs as let's say maximum output voltage 32 vms,
    thd: plus noise 20hz to 20khz,
    0.0035% typical
    signal to nise ratio >119 db
    overload margin 31db, with an output inpidance of 600 ohns plus, let's sayfrequency response from 5hz to 50khz with out slope on tone controls?

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  6. nando

nando nando

input sensitivity for full output 8 volts+

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  7. nando

Richard Dunn

The best pre-amp is no pre-amp, they do nothing but get in the way of the music.

Richard Dunn, Nov 3, 2010
  8. nando

nando nando

not enjoying music? how do you amplyfie music? the only thing that gets in the way of music it's music,

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  9. nando

nando nando

think of this richard, a pre-amp that has both outputs valve and s.s. and as you know from recording studius has also a panorama control, after all people out there would like to listen to music how they wish to in the way they will enjoy, i think we can do it do you not think so? however if no one comes onto this crazy project i will do so,

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  10. nando

Chris Davies

I like the idea and would be interested in ZG kit in my rack

Chris Davies, Nov 3, 2010
  11. nando

nando nando

good, so would i, i will just wait as to who will venture in to this project, if everyone can so can we at ZG,

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  12. nando

RobHolt Moderator

I think it depends what you want.

If you want the cleanest transfer then a simple passive has the best chance of delivering that so long as the rest of the system allows it to work, so low source impedances, high load impedances, plenty of amplifier sensitivity and low capacitance screened interconnects. In that situation passive is superb - and I mean simple pots and attenuators, not transformer devices.

But if you want something more universal and something that can suit a wide variety of equipment, perhaps you need some gain, variable input and output options and like tonal control then active is clearly the way to go. Then make it the best circuit possible.

Not sure a forum should put its name on equipment - though 'ZeroGain' as a brand does have a nice look to it :)
    It certainly isn't difficult to recreate a Quad style 'tilt' unit at passive line level, perhaps with a switchable buffer stage. I have a circuit here that was published in HFN many years ago.

RobHolt, Nov 3, 2010
  13. nando

Tenson Moderator

If I were to buy a new pre-amp today I'd want it to have a super good DAC built in, as well as parametric EQ. Since I only use digital sources though, it's pointless to me so I'll continue using the DEQ2496.

Tenson, Nov 3, 2010
  14. nando

nando nando

good rob, let us create the knights of the round table, i have all the diagrams on all designs to make it happen it is not going to be a picknick neither a quick doing , it will take most of our minds together to create this MASTER PIECE, i think we can do it,what do you think? i have both schematics on slope para mets on co-ordination to conbine a third ussuable pre-amp, it is not going to be small, it can not be, phono stage will be sepeate,

nando, Nov 3, 2010
  15. nando

nando nando

simon, parametrics eq's have to be in a different unit i.e. via loop, a third of an octave wave cut in all frequencies will need a very little but large box unit of it's own ,k like the old goodmans galaxtron,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    nando, Nov 3, 2010
  16. nando

Tenson Moderator

Why do they have to be in a different unit? 2 PEQ seem the perfect thing for sorting out room mode problems.

Tenson, Nov 3, 2010
  17. nando

Richard Dunn

A pre-amp is unnecessary extra clutter in the signal path, all you need is a volume control and maybe a rotary switch if you have few inputs. The extra gain can be put in the power amp or in the source.

18. nando

Richard Dunn

You don't enjoy music by polluting it and FF'ing it up.

19. nando

Richard Dunn

Why do you think it would be a master piece, have you heard it, if not you cannot judge by the circuit what it will sound like.

20. nando

nando nando

i have a prototype without tone controls and it does not **** up music, it creates a musical atmostphere, how ever richard we are all boys playing with toys,

nando, Nov 3, 2010
Ask a Question