custom ATC studio monitor build questions

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by jackinthebox, May 17, 2010.

1. jackinthebox

jackinthebox

Hello there,

This is my first post on this forum so please forgive my ignorance.

I am about to embark upon a DIY speaker build project and i've come to a standstill because of a lack of knowledge in certain areas of speaker cabinet design.

I have a rather nice selection of components to play with and a quite specific layout needed to give me the correct width apart for accurate stereo imaging in my fairly small recording studio control room.

I have a pair of ATC SCM50 amps which i believe are mark 1s, i also have four Alnico ATC 9inch studio bass drivers, two three inch soft dome midranges and two ATC/Vifa tweeters (which i will probably not end up using, I haven't decided what the best option is tweeter wise yet. Maybe some nice ribbons.

One problem i have run into is whether to make a closed/sealed cabinet or a ported design. I understand that with a sealed box one gets a longer bass roloff and greater extension but the box needs to be a lot bigger than a ported design.

I am also undecided whether to use all the bass drivers. ie two 9s on each side. Or just one on either side as this is what the amps are designed for (SCM50) and use the remaining bass drivers for some subs perhaps.

The box volume is my main issue. As the bass drivers are alnico magnet, very early examples made in the old chiswick factory they may have different T&S parameters to that of the modern ferrite 9inch ATCs. They are unused NOS but as they are alnico they may have lost some magnetism over the years but i have no way of testing them currently.
    Does anyone have experience of these kind of drivers? They have been sititng here unused for too long now but i don't want to start building until i have the right information. It would be a shame to put them in the wrong box!

I also need the boxes to be wedge shaped so i can get the tweeters far enough away from my ears and the right width apart to create an eqilateral triangle. They will be pretty much soffit mounted.

Any information or advice would be gratefully recieved and i apologise if i have been unclear. I am a newbie here remember!

Thanks in advance

Jack

:)

jackinthebox, May 17, 2010
  2. jackinthebox

Jimbo

If you can't get help here try diyaudio forums they have many clued up builders there. Good luck with your build.

Jim.

Jimbo, May 18, 2010
  3. jackinthebox

Dev Moderator

Try PMing Fox. He may be able to help. He rebuilt his ATCs IIRC.

Dev, May 18, 2010
Ask a Question