Damping material for speaker box internals

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Chris, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris

My Totem Arros use some sort of Nasa inspired borosilicate paint to damp the internal walls of the boxes. For my current WD20 project does anyone know of a comercially available equivalent I might use or should I use damping pads or what.
    I seem to remember having read that some of you are anti-damping pads (Tenson ?) but is this just a gut reaction or does it depend on the size/materials of the panels ? In my case the boxes are braced and the panels to damp between braces would be say 20cm x 20cm of 16mm chipboard skinned with 5mm mdf. What difference could be expected between damped and non-damped panels of these dimensions ?

Chris, Jul 15, 2008
  2. Chris

Dick Bowman

I'm fairly sure that something along the lines of borosilicate paint was advertised in Speaker Builder magazine some years back. Might be worth checking out a copy of their current publication (AudioXPress) http://www.audioxpress.com/index.html to see if they still carry relevant ads.

Never saw any, but I suspect it might be something of a stiffening agent rather than a damper.

I suspect that damping materials need to be thought about in the context of the main cabinet materials (thinnish birch ply and heavy bitument pads were a well-researched option in the BBC days).

I also suspect that an aspect of speaker tuning is getting the cabinets to sing along with the drivers - or not, as the case may be. Which suggests an element of experimentation (although it may be hard to get damping materials off once glued in).

Dick Bowman, Jul 15, 2008
  3. Chris

Tenson Moderator

It will make close to no difference. The damping goo has to be very thick (i.e. equal to the panel thickness) before it has much effect.

Tenson, Jul 15, 2008
Ask a Question