David Helfgott

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by titian, Apr 26, 2006.

1. titian

titian

Has anyone heard his interpretations and have comments?

He's giving a concert here (3rd Rachmaninoff) and I don't know if it would be interesting to go there.

titian, Apr 26, 2006
  2. titian

narabdela

"The sad fact," Globe critic Richard Dyer concluded, "is that David Helfgott should not have been in Symphony Hall last night, and neither should the rest of us."

Detractors also questioned his mental ability to perform, but to them the most ire-provoking of all was the outrageous gap between the extent to which Helfgott is celebrated -- packed audiences at prestigious, respected venues like the Royal Albert Hall, the Sydney Opera House and the Seattle Opera House, and his musical talent, which many perceive as dismal. Salon writer Douglas McLennan may have the most perceptive explanation of this critical anger, writing that many are upset because "Helfgott ... has not won his celebrity through performances, but his performances through celebrity."

Copied from:http://inkpot.com/classical/helfgott98p.html

narabdela, Apr 26, 2006
  3. titian

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Critics COULD be wrong or there could be a conspiracy against Helfgott... I would go to the concert.

bat, Apr 26, 2006
  4. titian

titian

thanks for your replies

titian, Apr 26, 2006
  5. titian

lordsummit moderate mod

He got panned in the UK a few years ago, but to be honest there was a whiff of backlash. Me I'd go but buy cheap tickets

lordsummit, Apr 27, 2006
  6. titian

Zohia

A few years ago I watched him live here in Portugal and enjoyed it very much.
    His interpretations may not be the best in the world but it's sure worth to watch him playing.
    He coughed and got up during the concert (the bench was sliding, he'd get up and push it back with one of his feet, always while playing) and came back on stage 11 times, playing 4 encores.
    Interesting musician/human being!;)

Joana

Zohia, Apr 29, 2006
  7. titian

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I saw him at the Albert Hall years ago doing Rach 3 (it's his party piece!)...
    And his playing wasn't perfect, quite a few bum notes, more grunting and weird noises than Glenn Gould, he even touched up the (lady) 1st violinist!
    But it was a very passionate performance - you'd know it was his interpretation, which I think can be a good thing with so many classical musicians sounding like clones of each other.
    My mother, who's been a piano teacher for 40 years, enjoyed it hugely, even though she could play the piece technically better!

leonard smalls, Apr 30, 2006
  8. titian

Try to sneak in without paying. Pay afterwards if he played well

bat, Apr 30, 2006
  9. titian

pe-zulu

Titian,
    and remember to detect the noise level.:D

pe-zulu, May 1, 2006
  10. titian

Yes, dB meter is a must, and if you get caught while sneaking in, just say that you are Helfgott and don't need a ticket. The good old I-am-the-artist trick.

bat, May 2, 2006
Ask a Question