Differences between ATC Active SCM 10's and 20's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by paulus, Dec 2, 2007.

1. paulus

paulus

Hi

About a year ago I upgraded from ATC SCM Active 10's to the larger Active 20's, and was wondering if anyone else out there had done the same and what their experiences were.

In my old system with the 10's I was using ATC's CA2 as a pre-amp, and an Arcam's FMJ CD 33 player. It sounded superb, with pretty much anything I put through it, TV, DVD, even MP3's played through the computer. The best way to describe the sound was 'addictive'. Even listening to TV shows made the listening experience very enjoyable, and I found I was constantly surprised/delighted by them, with what these small boxes could produce.

So when a 'too good to refuse offer' came along to upgrade to the bigger brother of the 20's, I jumped at the chance, thinking it would simply be a case of plugging them in and experiencing more low end base, and a wider ranging sound. I had heard some passive 20's about 10 years ago and was blown over by the sound quality, which is why I thought it was a safe bet jumping up to the 20's.

To my disappointment, this has not proved to be the case. Whilst some of my CD's do sound amazing, ones I previously loved listening to do not sound right, and sound slightly harsh and bright.

What I enjoyed with my old 10's was the clear separation of vocals and instruments, which I found very engaging - no overlap in sound. I remember when I first got them it felt like I had simultaneously upgraded my entire CD collection, because I could hear so much more from them.

I have tried repositioning the 20's, demo'd several different interconnects between speakers and pre amp and cd player, but they don't seem to make much difference.

In a nutshell, each time I turn off my 20's I don't have a smile on my face, like did with my old 10's.

It has taken a time to get to this stage, because I wondered if it was me or the speakers that were at fault.

So I am wondering if anyone has upgraded from 10's to 20's and what their experiences were.

paulus, Dec 2, 2007
  2. paulus

Garmt

I know both models and have found the 10's to be much more forgiving for less than perfect recordings, sources and pre-amps. The better the recording and ancillary equipment, the better it will sound. This will mean an even better CD-player and possibly the SCA2 pre-amp.

In my opinion, the 10's have a 'nicer' sound, more musical and forgiving, as said earlier.

Garmt, Dec 2, 2007
Ask a Question