Digital cable musings (part 2).

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jan 20, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Nothing else changed. I'm not saying the Apogee is a bad cable - for an RCA digital cable I'd say it's hard to beat but it's just that in my system the optical is better. The system is now sounding better than it ever has done :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2004
  2. michaelab

lowrider Live music is surround

I dont doubt you, just that it is strange the change, something else must have changed... :rolleyes:

Have you tried it again after your rack was back to normal, without NADa different... :confused:

lowrider, Jan 21, 2004
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Yep - it's all back to how it was before. Still same difference.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2004
  4. michaelab

So, either yours ears changed, the mains quality is different or something hadn't burn-in enough... :p

lowrider, Jan 21, 2004
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I don't know, I'm not convinced I was listening properly last time as I'd got so confused with doing all the with/without upsampler playing about.

Anyway, why is it so hard to accept that I'm not using the same cable as you anymore now I've found something better? :JOEL:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2004
  6. michaelab

Believe me, I dont give a damn about wich cables you use, your system is completely different than mine... :p

Was just trying to help... :JPS:

lowrider, Jan 21, 2004
  7. michaelab

merlin

MEEEooow:D portuguese stylee:D :D

merlin, Jan 21, 2004
  8. michaelab

ditton happy old soul

Thanks to all for comments on optical link, and to Sauerkraut for the URL. I'll follow this up.

WM, The AT&T is interesting but for the lengths I'm taking about prob v.pricey.

ditton, Jan 22, 2004
  9. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Ditton, The glass optics arn't that dear wadia own sell for $60 for 3m, I sold my spares, even with serious optical trans-ceviers & ultra clean 5v supply to the digi in/out rails, still in my opinion wasn't as good as the AES, although for purely word/syn signal tranmission very good. Wm

wadia-miester, Jan 22, 2004
  10. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Is AT&T optical compatible with TOSlink? A mate here in Portugal (no, a different one this time) who also has a DAC64 has got a new transport (Conrad Johnson - no, I didn't know they made one either) that has AT&T optical out but is bummed that he can't use the optical connection and has to make do with AES/EBU.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 22, 2004
  11. michaelab

Mike, the connections are of metal collar 'twist-loc' type, although not impossible to change :)
    It's weird as Wadia swear by the AT&T, yet it produces the hardest sound on the wads I've heard, even with the 'orange cable' and modded suppiles to the trans/reciever sections. but the 270's clock link is AT&T, I've utislised this as well on a couple of the dac's Ive done, using one of the spare Glass optics array's. Wm

12. michaelab

ditton happy old soul

thanks. but as I said, I need either a 7m straight run (?under the oriental rug?) or something longer to go about the skirting. It then start getting expensive. I may have to make do with Tos.

Or am I missing something here?

ditton, Jan 22, 2004
  13. michaelab

Well ditton, If it twas I, to make sure I had the best possible medium for my system, I would move the tranny closer to the dac, and experiment with cable types personaly I use AES/EBU and on the T/D combo a clock link thats been clocked!!!!, are you using the dax clock link as well?, but I have to say 7m 22ft aint short, I've seen AT&T's 6m go for $120ish, (Here's the bit the sceptics love, for me I would have the best possible digital link between the trans/dac I could go for, it does make a difference, if you get the chance to compare all formats together please do Its's ear opening)
    The wadias have 6 selectable inputs that are swopped via the handset, so this is easy, their transports can output 4 different formats at one, Toslink/AES/BNC/AT&T. wadia recommend AT&T, however I use AES for syn extraction & audio data signals.Wm

14. michaelab

ditton happy old soul

... to clear up possible confusion:

AudioSynthesis Transcend & AS Dax Decade are connected by 1 metre SilverBlue SQ, as supplied by AS. I use their Ncode format. Now, although the Dax Deacde cab support "Coaxial RCA, Coaxial BNC, AES, ST wide band glass optical and Toslink plastic optical inputs", my Transcend is actually a modded Sony and I think supports only Coaxial RCA, Toslink and something I've not yet worked out - I'll look again over the weekend.

(This and the AudioLab 8000S sit together - on a 4 tier Mana rack.)

Now what I'm bothering about is that I am expecting shortly to have Sky+ box installed, which will deliver me with high bitrate 'radio' that I want to feed into the Dax Decade. The Sky+ box will sit under TV on other side of room.

I could re-locate HiFi stuff (or TV stuff) but it would not suit living room to do so.

So, I'm puzzling how to interconnect digitally over a distance ....

ditton, Jan 23, 2004
Ask a Question