Dirty valve pins / bases

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Mar 9, 2010.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I thought my ST20 was developing a problem yesterday when it started making noises like waves crashing on a beach, but after a bit of pfaffing around it seems as though at least one of the ecc83's was suffering from bad contacts, as wiggling it around and re-seating it seems to have cured it.

So thought it might be a good move to clean as many of those contacts up as poss, any suggestions on what to use or avoid. General switch cleaner OK?

la toilette, Mar 9, 2010
  2. la toilette

speedy.steve

I use general switch cleaner - cotton bud and clean pins all round. Never needed to clean the sockets - I do this once a year as part of check bias / voltages and pin clean along with the other connections - mains, speaker, interconnects.

Probably why I've never heard that problem on my system you had;)

speedy.steve, Mar 9, 2010
  3. la toilette

RobHolt Moderator

Caig 'Deox-it' is good stuff.

Quick squirt, push the valve in and out a few times and let dry for a couple of minutes.

RobHolt, Mar 9, 2010
  4. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Cheers Steve / Rob. I have some switch cleaner so I'll do them all with that right now and get some deoxit on order.

Dave

la toilette, Mar 10, 2010
Ask a Question