DIY Acoustic Panels

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by YNMOAN, Apr 20, 2008.

1. YNMOAN

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I just couldn't confront the cost of buying Acoustic Panels so I made these at the weekend - I'm really pleased with them :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for construction; I'm not exactly sure what the stuffing is as I got it quite a long time ago from Wickes (I think), It's pink and claimed to have 'acoustic absorbency' properties at the time - also it is a bit more 'fluffy' than glass fibre and doesn't itch (which is nice).

The panels are made from pine frames (wood from B&Q) 70mmX20mm section, metal corner brackets - glued and screwed together. Used a router to chamfer all the edges and put a big rounded chamfer on the inside edge. The backs are made from perforated hardboard and they are spaced a small amount from the wall on felt pads. The covering is a heavy, unbleached cotton (I think) that I got from John Lewis' (no expense spared). The long thin one (behind the sofa) also has a centre brace but the other two didn't need it. They are positioned at the points of first reflection and behind the listener.

I think I might well make another one for between the speakers so I might take some pics during construction this time if people are interested.

They have a really strange quality to them - if you hold one up to one side of your head you can kind of 'hear' that the sound is being absorbed on that side - very strange feeling - like holding a pillow or cushion up, but more so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
    YNMOAN, Apr 20, 2008
  2. YNMOAN

Tenson Moderator

Do you hear much improvement?

Tenson, Apr 20, 2008
  3. YNMOAN

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Yes I do, quite a profound difference in fact. Less 'white' sounding, better treble focus and tighter bass - or rather less bass 'bloat' at the 60Hz range where my room used to add quite a bit of its own.

"I think I might well make another one for between the speakers so I might take some pics during construction this time if people are interested." Well, it doesn't seem as if people are so I won't be bothering with that then :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
    YNMOAN, Apr 20, 2008
  4. YNMOAN

robert_cyrus

nice posters! I'm a 4ad / v23 fan too ...

I made something similar with pine battens attached to the wall and padded with fluffy acoustic stuff from Wickes, but my fluffy stuff is the itchy / face mask stuff.

robert_cyrus, Apr 21, 2008
Ask a Question