Diy phono [rca] plugs

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, May 17, 2008.

1. zanash

zanash

So after googling the above title I got 120000 hits in 0.1 seconds ...

a quick scan of the first 30 results shows that none so far are home made rca plugs ....

I do know people have tried in the past using o rings and the like ...but nobody seems to have made a simple good sounding plug ....except me !

So this is what you can do ....

cut a 20mm length of 9mm copper pipe ...I used a pipe cutter the sort that looks like the cutting head of a safety can opener mated with a clamp.

cut four of these little fellas ....sit these in cillit bang for a couple hours and then polish.

using a dremel or hack saw ...cut a slot 5mm from the end and 7mm long parallel to the end then a slot to form a T with the one you have just cut ...turn it over and repeat

you have just made the ground clamp .... its a good idea to offer up a socket and make certain they slide on ....don't widen with pliers let the clamp open under pressure.

on the other end make one T shaped slot ...this will form the cable crimp

Make a dowel 7mm long and the same dia as the internal dia of the tube ....mine was 7mm ....drill a 3mm hole along its axis

cut a suitable length approx 12mm of 3mm dia copper solid core wire to form the centre pin. Fit into dowel and glue [appoxy]. I've used a folded length of 1.5mm dia silver[4n]

to build

solder the signal wire to the centerpin and dowel and fold back the ground wire .
    slide this into the copper pipe with the slots crimping down the T section to contact the ground and hold everything in place.. you can add a drop of solder too if you need. ....you can heat shrink if you want

job done !

cost £18 for 10m of 9mm copper pipe I'd got the wire laying around to make the pin ....dowel was a couple of quid.

how do they sound ......?

At least as good as any of my commercial plugs ... but not as pretty

zanash, May 17, 2008
  2. zanash

Tenson Moderator

Any pics?

Tenson, May 17, 2008
  3. zanash

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Pete 47labs have something vaguely similar.

sq225917, May 17, 2008
  4. zanash

zanash

wiffey has the camera .......

but will put something up on her return ....

47 labs ? will check to make certain its not the same

do you mean .....

http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/47cabling.html

As this is cut from copper pipe and theres is soft plastic ....

zanash, May 18, 2008
  5. zanash

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

that's the one, pressing the cable to the plugs.

sq225917, May 18, 2008
  6. zanash

Hamilton

I've been experimenting with this myself recently, starting with 3D Sonics 'Zero-connector' design (see a previous thread here) which was itself inspired by the 47 labs cables. I've found they sounded very good indeed but have just made up a pair using 2 inch lengths of the low loss satelite cable moulding plus o-rings to form 'plugs' combined with winding the wires in spirals around a piece of plastic tube (in the manner of the VHAudio 'fine silver' i/c's) to make up the bulk of the length of interconnects. IMHO these sound even a bit better in terms of detail and transient response. Can't honestly say I can hear a difference from my VH fine silvers with Silver bullets, which are my reference. Very pleased and cost less than a tenner for a 1m pair. Only problem is I don't think they'll wear very well if plugged/unplugged frequently. Does anyone know if you can buy the 47 labs plastic mouldings seperately?

Hamilton, May 20, 2008
  7. zanash

DEWAUDIO

Any photos yet? I myself have pondered the idea of DIY RCA plugs...

DEWAUDIO, May 31, 2008
  8. zanash

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

Sonusthree, May 31, 2008
  9. zanash

zanash

damn ...yes said I do some I'll try and get my hands on the camera

zanash, Jun 1, 2008
  10. zanash

DEWAUDIO

Here is my 1st DIY RCA plug made to the Bullet-Plug concept. Hopefully I will have a stereo set of cables at the end of the day.

First photo: It fits and conducts!
    Second photo: Wooden center pin with a copper conductor running down the side - same with the wooden barrel.

Attached Files:

DEWAUDIO, Jun 1, 2008
Ask a Question