DIY speaker cable...solid silver?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Will, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

Any recommendations for a home brew recipe? And where to buy it from?

At present I am using silver plated solid core 2mm copper in a PTFE sleeve, this sounds fine to my ears but is insanely inflexible.

I have fancied trying something different, possibly solid silver, and have already procured some eichmann bayonet plugs, good silver solder, rhodium plugs, heatshrink and braid...its just the wire and insulation that I need to get.

Something a little more flexible for tidiness in ones living room would be nice!

Will, Nov 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Will

Labarum

Buy some ordinary 79 strand, and get on with listening to the music.

Labarum, Nov 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Will

RobHolt Moderator

Seconded.

Or if you want something that wil run under carpets i think QED do a flat version of 79 strand.

RobHolt, Nov 4, 2010
  4. Will

hubsand Item Audio

Keep going . . .

I think you're already on exactly the right lines: ignore the skeptics! However, you're much better off using two or three strands of thinner solid core in loose teflon sleeves, braided: it's more flexible, and works better: you're probably picking up Radio 3 on those things right now. The Eichmanns are also superb. You appear to be very close to perfection there . . .

hubsand, Nov 4, 2010
  5. Will

RobHolt Moderator

Skepticism has nothing to do with it.

You cannot explain why anything you've written makes a shred of difference to the sound, and a quick blind comparison shows it to be nonsense, in minutes.

The dismissal of daft, illogical, baseless theories isn't skepticism.

RobHolt, Nov 5, 2010
  6. Will

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

If you want to make something in silver, go for it. But just know that there's nothing you can make in silver that can't be made to sound exactly the same in copper, it'l just need to be made 6% thicker. If two wires measure the same in LCR and have the same shielding, then they are the same. And remember only the wires from your tonearm to phonostage really need shielding from RFI.

I use an all silver loom with a variety of solid silver plugs and all silver RCA socket on my gear. I used to think it makes a difference but blind testing showed me that once I remove my sighted bias the differences are indistinguishable.

I don't doubt there are differences between cables, just that are so small as to be utterly insignificant and beyond both audibility and measurement.

However if you think something should sound better then you likely to hear it as sounding better- and that is an upgrade in itself.

sq225917, Nov 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question