diy wet record cleaning machine

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Sep 20, 2009.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

I've finally put the finishing touches on this contraption. Unexpected expense, some tricky parts to order, but all is now complete.

I can't reccomend the work though - because I have not got the resources to compare the finished results with a pre-built machine.

Has anyone got -

1) a pre-built machine, preferably a good one?
    2) a microscope to show what a record looks like after being cleaned on each machine?
    3) a small enough ego that they don't care if their machine cleans better or worse than a DIY effort?

I've had fun and the results are what they are - whatever that is :) I am happy.

Who can assist? - In the light of a direction of continuing the testing/diy/ ''lets see for ourselves'' attitude of ZG of late...

Cheers

bottleneck, Sep 20, 2009
  2. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Chris, I have an Cadence Okki Nokki and you are welcome to use that in any comparison.

Seems to be working well.

Not sure about photos of the grooves though - anyone have a suitable scope?

RobHolt, Sep 20, 2009
  3. bottleneck

Thanks Rob :)

I'm sure someone must have a scope?

It would be nice to be able to reccomend a wet cleaning solution for the fiscally challenged!

bottleneck, Sep 20, 2009
  4. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

If your cleaner quickly sucks the liquid off the record without scratching it I'm certain it will be just as good as any other cleaner on the market. There is no magic or 'foo' to these things, you get the record wet with the solution of your choice, scrub it to taste and then the machine sucks the liquid and dislodged gunk off the record. That's it! Anything beyond that is down to ease of use and reliability, both a big factor if you rely on the thing as I do.

Tony.

(who has a very high-milaege 10 year old VPI 17F)

TonyL, Sep 20, 2009
  5. bottleneck

Hi Tony

It might be, or it might be crap :)

Also, not just the machine but the fluid is a DIY recipe.

I wouldn't feel happy saying ''it works!!'' unless I can show it does..

bottleneck, Sep 20, 2009
  6. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

The problem is that you will never find two identically dirty records - it's just not something you can really A B. If your record cleaner makes the records you clean on it cleaner then in my book it works!

What fluid are you using? I use one third isopropyl to two thirds distilled or purified water and a drop of Fairy Liquid. Works nicely IME. If I hit something really stubborn I'll throw a bit more isopropyl at it.

Tony.

TonyL, Sep 20, 2009
  7. bottleneck

Hi Tony

I've ordered some isopropyl, distilled water and some photographic wetting agent.

I'm doing the TNT record cleaning recipe's -

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html

On the record/compare thing ... I was thinking of each doing one side of the same slab of vinyl. Hopefully the same record will be equally dirty on both sides.. or similar enough.

bottleneck, Sep 21, 2009
  8. bottleneck

nobody got a scope?

Can do this without a scope, but comparisons of side 'a' to side 'b' will just be subjective.

bottleneck, Sep 22, 2009
  9. bottleneck

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Microscope

Bit of a long shot - me being in Peterborough and you in Bucks but I do know a fellow arb consultant with a microscope he has connected to one of his (many) PCs that he uses to count annual rings etc. This is a perfect soulution but may be logistically beyond the intended 'proof of the pudding'. anyway, we're not a million liles apart are we?

Regards,

Soloist, Sep 22, 2009
  10. bottleneck

Hi Soloist

That sounds useful !
    Not a million miles apart nope :)

The machines are so expensive, I'm sure that there are people out there who might say

'if I can make something pig ugly, more manual, but with the same / similar cleaning results for a fraction of the cost - then I'll spend my £500 / £1000 or whatever on a family holiday instead'

There are DIY wet cleaning record machines on the web, but until we know how the performance compares, people can't make informed decisions.

If you can help, would be great thanks :) Can you speak to your friend and let me know?

bottleneck, Sep 22, 2009
  11. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Chris,

Do you have more details of your record cleraner? There are a number of DIY record cleaners on the web. Simple one are based on a vacuum cleaner with the noozle adapted then used on a old turntable.

Speedy.steve aalso has made a home made cleaner. Here is a picture.

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showpost.php?p=255374&postcount=8

[​IMG]

This is based around the Percy Wilson ideas.

http://www.keithmonks-rcm.co.uk/aesinstrmtsrecclngprinted.pdf

Also the Keith Monks and the Lorricraft cleaners are based on these. These use powerful and quiet pumps. The nozzle allows for good suction on a small area.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 22, 2009
  12. bottleneck

Hi Dean

Thanks for that article - what great reading :) I'm going to get stuck into that over the next few days.

My ideas have all come the web, and the keen googler can do the same of course. My question to myself was just... 'ok, so you dont need to spend much, but does it work aswell?'

A good question I think lol

Cheers, thanks again - hope to catch you at the Northants show Dean?

bottleneck, Sep 22, 2009
  13. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi chris,

It depends on the suction. Some pumps are more powerful that overs. In straight forward terms, does your record cleaner reduce the noise on your dirty records?

I will be at the show. i'm going on the Sunday.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 22, 2009
  14. bottleneck

Noel Winters

.I made a wet `cleaning machine if you can call it that ,i used a
    Vac. cleaner barrel type i use the long hose with an end about
    3inches wide a standard fitting this i covered with a rubber type materal that is perforated and dont damage the record it is swiveled so easy to get around record it has strong suction.
    i hold the record on a board on an old rubber mat with a threaded
    spindle a small bolt is all you need i then use a lid off a jar that covers the label this i screw down tight works really well
    first i give the record a good clean with Turps dont worry it wont damage your records but i have found it will take a lot of the noise from old dirty discs. my second clean is mineral
    water with a few drops of dish washing liquid i suck of all liquid after each wash final wash is mineral water
    water just evaperates in vac.hose. Well it works for me
    I have Disc Doctor brushes they help.Spray on liquid
    rub turps round with soft cloth no way i hear you say
    Noel W.

Noel Winters, Sep 23, 2009
  15. bottleneck

Noel Winters

.I made a wet `cleaning machine if you can call it that ,i used a
    Vac. cleaner barrel type i use the long hose with an end about
    3inches wide a standard fitting this i covered with a rubber type materal that is perforated and dont damage the record it is swiveled so easy to get around record it has strong suction.
    i hold the record on a board on an old rubber mat with a threaded
    spindle a small bolt is all you need i then use a lid off a jar that covers the label this i screw down tight works really well
    first i give the record a good clean with Turps dont worry it wont damage your records but i have found it will take a lot of the noise from old dirty discs. my second clean is mineral
    water with a few drops of dish washing liquid i suck of all liquid after each wash final wash is mineral water
    water just evaperates in vac.hose. Well it works for me
    I have Disc Doctor brushes they help.Spray on liquid
    rub turps round with soft cloth no way i hear you say
    Noel W.

16. bottleneck

Noel Winters

You only need to read one copy they are both good
    Noel W.

17. bottleneck

Soloist In my lonely furrow

See what I can do - no promises!

Soloist, Sep 23, 2009
  18. bottleneck

hmmm

My home brew record cleaner doesnt work well enough with it's belt drive. I only used that because I had it already.

Clearly, a DD is a necessity to withstand the suction.

Was going to look on Ebay, but thought I'd ask ''has anyone got a knacked up pile of a direct drive turntable in the shed'' ? It can have missing knobs, scratched to hell, missing lid etc. It just needs an arm (the bearings can be shot lol) and the motor / turning must be ok.

I can get one off ebay as mentioned, but thought I'd ask here first. Send me a PM if you have such a relic ! :) ... especially if you're near M/Keynes

Cheers

bottleneck, Sep 25, 2009
  19. bottleneck

Fen Dancer Two left feet

Best of luck with this. As far as microscopes go, Dino lite are a handy little direct to PC microscope which I've used at work. Loads of different magnification/specs/prices. http://www.anmo.com.tw/ Might be worth asking around.
    I thought years ago that ultrasonic cleaning baths are very common in engineering/electronics, so why not record cleaning? Audiodesk systeme http://www.audiodesksysteme.de/index.php?kat=10_17_15 have built one - has anyone tried tackling a DIY one?

Fen Dancer, Sep 25, 2009
  20. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Chris, an old Lenco might suit well.
    Idler drive so plenty of torque and you should get cosmetically challenged ones cheaply.

Or how about an uber green solution - wind up record player :)

RobHolt, Sep 25, 2009
Ask a Question