Do I need a mixer or an EQ with two inputs?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zach4marston, Aug 28, 2018.

1. zach4marston

zach4marston

Hi,

I'm having troubles finding a solution to the following problem -

My current set up includes two Rokit 6 powered monitors, an Audio Technica at-lp5 direct drive turntable, and a laptop. I would like to find a way of connecting both my turntable and laptop to my speakers at the same time (but not to use together) as a way of not having to change wires around every time i want to use one or the other, however within this I would also like to add a way of controlling the EQ for both inputs. Although the music i listen to varies a lot from my laptop, the music i play from the turntable is usually bass heavy dub which i would like to emphasize through the use of EQ adjustment, however would like a solution that works with both the laptop and turntable because im lazy and don't like changing wires around.

Iv tried software EQ's on the laptop however after some use, they all randomly generate a harsh, loud distortion noise for no apparent reason. Iv also tried the SZ-MIX04 mixer, however although it worked with the laptop, it wouldn't work with the turntable unless it was connected through an RCA input, with in affect bypassed the EQ function on the mixer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou,

Zach.

zach4marston, Aug 28, 2018
  2. zach4marston

knadles

Generally, one would place a stereo preamp between the sources and the amplifier (which in this case is built into the speakers). If the preamp has a dedicated phono input, use it and switch off the phono preamp on the LP5. If not, keep the LP5 preamp turned on.

knadles, Sep 3, 2018
  3. zach4marston

zach4marston

THankyou!

I recently found out that i may need an amplifier and i think your reply just confirmed that, have you got any advice on looking for an amplifier?

zach4marston, Sep 4, 2018
Ask a Question