Do I need an amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Newbie1111, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Newbie1111

Newbie1111

I currently have a turntable set up which is a Rega RP1 playing through a set of Aktimate Blue speakers via a rega pre amp. I don't have an amplifier as the speakers don't require it - they have built in amp, I believe.
    I'm looking to get a cheap CD player separate (looking at Cambridge Audio cd32-36 but open to suggestions). If I set this up through the pre amp and into the speakers would it work?
    Or do I need an amplifier?

Newbie1111, Mar 18, 2017
  2. Newbie1111

Jeff Lee

Hi there

You don't need another amplifier for a CD player (by the way, the Onkyo C-7030 comes well reviewed at £199 from Richer Sounds). But whatever you do, do NOT try to connect a CD player to the Rega pre-amp - and if it is the model Fono Mini A2D you couldn't easily do that anyway. This kind of pre-amp is specially designed to boost the tiny signal from a pickup cartridge up to the same level as from e.g. a CD player.

The Aktimates have connections and sockets on the back of one speaker. I can't see exactly how these are marked/labelled but probably your Rega pre-amp is plugged into one pair of sockets marked AUX1. You would connect the CD player into the other AUX input pair of sockets. Get a decent interconnect cable for that job, and personally I would try to keep the CD player some distance away from the Aktimates, and avoid having speakers and player on - for example - the same flimsy shelf (same goes for your turntable).

Hope that helps, and happy listening.

Jeff Lee, Apr 3, 2017
  3. Newbie1111

Jeff Lee

Did you make progress on this?

Jeff Lee, May 3, 2017
Ask a Question