Do I really need a Power Amp...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Speranza, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Speranza

Speranza

Hi all

Am new to the forum, and after some advice from those with the experience please, if you'd be so kind to advise.

Having rekindled my love of hi-fi, I'm running a Roksan Kandy L MkIII amp, with an Arcam CD73T and currently some Mission 733i's....

My question is, why and how would I benefit from adding a power amp to the above so that I can bi amp? Does bi-amping really make a significant difference? i.e. Are there people out there who have gone down the path and realised that bi-amping DOES make a significant difference? If so, should I just look for the Roksan Equivalent power amp, or would another do? Oh, and here's one for you... Would running the Roksan Kandy as a preamp only and using the power amp as a single power source be very different? i.e. I have access to an Arcam 9P... If I used the Roksan as a preamp, would the 'sound' itself stem more from the Arcam or the Roksan?

Now, let me re-read that and see if any of it makes sense....:confused: :)

Speranza, Oct 8, 2010
  2. Speranza

Richard Dunn

Like everything in the world of hi-fi "it depends"!!

Will your system be able to resolve the potential difference. Will your gear benefit from the change due to design characteristics etc etc.

I have heard systems where bi-wire wrecks them and others where there is good benefit, the same with bi-amping. All I can tell you for certain is that with NVA product both are normally highly beneficial to the musical performance of the system.

One of the largest problems with hi-fi (and also one of its assets if you are a bit tweaky / nerdy) is that there are no absolutes, you have to try and if *you* think it is better, then it is better.

Richard Dunn, Oct 8, 2010
  3. Speranza

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

what dont you like about the sound that you have?

why the upgrade?

what are you trying to achieve?

I would reccomend carting the entire system to a dealership and trying some alternative products if you're unhappy.

bottleneck, Oct 8, 2010
  4. Speranza

Speranza

Thanks both for your replies.

Bottleneck, what am I trying to achieve, what am I missing? Well, I think the sound of the system is great, if a little bass heavy, or should I say a touch muddy bass... The speakers do have sand in them which has helped tightening the bass, but also increase it. Positioning seems to not make much difference to the them. I didn't realise that I could cart the whole system to a dealer. Now that I think about it, why not....?

Richard, it's good to know that Bi-wire/amping can be a hindrance as well as a benefit, in a twisted kind of way that is..... ;) You're right, unless I try, I won't know.

What I was hoping to find out is whether people have had the experience already of having done something similar and how it turned out.

Can I ask you guys what may seem an utterly ignorant question, but I'll ask all the same:

If I use the Roksan Kandy as a pre amp, and run the Arcam 9p (or other) as the power amp with normal wiring to my speakers (not bi-wire or b-amped), then what influences the sound more, the pre-amp or the power amp?

Again, apologies if it may seem a stupid question, but as has been said before the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Anyone with an answer to this last point, please chime in.

Many thanks again :)

Speranza, Oct 8, 2010
  5. Speranza

Richard Dunn

Everything influences your system, if you are capable of hearing it and your system is capable of resolving that difference. Pre-amps marginally have more influence than power amps, but again that depends. If the speakers present a difficult load then the power amp can make more difference.

I presume you don't want to change your whole system at once so just enjoy the process of selection and drop things in and out of your system or go to bake-offs or the London Bake-off show and bring the gear you want to compare with others.

Richard Dunn, Oct 8, 2010
  6. Speranza

myrman

If I were you I would put the money you would spend on another amp towards upgrading your speakers or possibly the amp. The improvement is likely to be greater than you would get taking the biamping route.

myrman, Oct 10, 2010
  7. Speranza

Speranza

You are quite right in that I do not want to change the rest of my equipment, having only just acquired some of it. I like the idea of dropping in and out and seeing what happens. This leads me to the following point from myrman re. the speaker and amp....

I did actually try another set of speakers, and realized that they although they were of a newer design than my older 733i's, they didn't have that musical factor the 733i's have. That said, they had more clarity in the midrange, although not as much warmth. This in turn made me try another pair.... And they also couldn't live up to the Missions, although they themselves were some Mission 773e's. I do think that I may well have been barking up the wrong tree re. the amp and bi-amping etc. What I've realised is that my trusty 733i's are still wonderful, but lack a little sparkle at the top end of the midrange, and also in terms of treble.

Further investigation has brought to the point that I'll need to try some similar sized boxes, but of more recent design and manufacture.

Thanks for the advice and help gentlemen.

Speranza, Oct 11, 2010
  8. Speranza

RobHolt Moderator

If the speakers sound fine but just lack a little sparkle, think the unthinkable and try an amplifier with decent tome controls. Try a little HF lift and see if that helps.

RobHolt, Oct 12, 2010
  9. Speranza

Basil

You mean there are pre-amps out there that can pick out a decent book?

*sorry*

Basil, Oct 13, 2010
  10. Speranza

RobHolt Moderator

:)

RobHolt, Oct 13, 2010
  11. Speranza

Speranza

The thought has indeed crossed my mind, sacrilegious as it might sound :D

The tone pot, not the literary avenue that is....

Speranza, Oct 14, 2010
Ask a Question