DPA Enlightenment Dac servicing

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Ron1066, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Ron1066

Ron1066

I have recently bought one of the above and although it sounds fine I have heard that because it is 25 years old, the caps might benefit from renewing. Can anyone recommend a person or company to do this and perhaps upgrade any other components

Ron1066, Oct 4, 2022
    1. Advertisements

2. Ron1066

Sergeauckland

It's unlikely the caps will need changing as they have a very long life, and 25 years is not that old. i have 50+ year old capacitors working fine. Similarly, there is nothing in a simple DAC that needs upgrading, or would result in an improvement in performance. I would only get the item looked at if I had any reason to think it wasn't working to specification.

If it ain't broke.....

S

Sergeauckland, Oct 4, 2022
    1. Advertisements

3. Ron1066

chris_w

electrolytic caps have a limited life expectancy. so it is well worth getting them replaced before they fail and take something else out that might not be reparable. It that has not been done in 25yrs then it important is should be done.

chris_w, Oct 10, 2022
    JohnnyL likes this.
  4. Ron1066

Sergeauckland

Yes, but have you thought through just what the life of a capacitor actually is? Capacitors have a rated life, say of 8000 hours at a rated temperature, typically 85degrees. Now, capacitors have a doubling of life for every 10degrees lower temperature, so at a typical temperature of, say, 45degrees inside the capacitor, that means that the life will be 128000 hours or 175 years if used two hours a day! Seriously, capacitor ageing is a non issue for any modern electronics under 50years old except valves which may run hotter.

Unless the capacitors are bulging, leave them alone!

S

Sergeauckland, Oct 10, 2022
  5. Ron1066

JohnnyL

Yes it may still work. And yes, you will hear a sound improvement if you change to new fresh caps.

JohnnyL, Oct 11, 2022
  6. Ron1066

Sergeauckland

Yes it should still work, and perhaps you will hear a sound improvement if the caps are faulty, not if they're not.

S.

Sergeauckland, Oct 11, 2022
  7. Ron1066

Arkless Electronics

It's certainly a problem on DPA DACs, in fact I've repaired several which were not working at all due to faulty electrolytics, including my own.
    If you've not already got it sorted and still want to you can PM me to arrange to have it done.

Arkless Electronics, Nov 3, 2022
    Sergeauckland likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question