Drivers for Atkinson Mini-line speakers

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by MalcolmWhite, Jan 2, 2016.

1. MalcolmWhite

MalcolmWhite

About 1980 I built a pair of the above from plans in the Record Review Nov 1978. Used them until recently but they are now down to one main driver and no HF drivers. The original spec was for Kef B110 and Isophone kk8.
    I would like to buy replacement equivalents but not having dabbled for many years need advice.
    What drivers should I buy and where will I get them?
    Is it economic? I really liked these speakers but appreciate it might not make money sense to refurbish them.
    Any advice and opinion greatly appreciated.

MalcolmWhite, Jan 2, 2016
  2. MalcolmWhite

hyweldavies

I had a pair, now broken up with the bits ebayed off.

One of the original Isophons packed up, and I simply bought a T27 to replace it. I recall that the original article said something about the isophon being a better match in combination with the crossover specified as the T27 had a uplift in frequency response. However I can't say it sounded wrong even though I dare say it could be measured. Had it another 10 plus years with the T27. Both B110 and T27 appear fairly regularly on fleabay though I'm afraid mine are all sold now.
    I had intended to upgrade the whole thing to the Dr Bailey transmission line with the addition of the B139, but I never got round to it and ended up with a (bargain 2nd hand) pair of Kef 105/3 (which are fabulous), and I sold off the parts.

Anyhow, if you stick some T27s instead of the Isophons it'll work fine, even if the frequency response isn't as flat as it should be in theory.

hyweldavies, Jan 3, 2016
Ask a Question