Dual 701 Turntable

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by ListeningEar, May 23, 2014.

1. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

I have acquired a Dual 701 direct drive turntable that needs a little help. It works fine other than the following:
    1) strobe light dead
    2) tonearm lift mechanism does not work, seems that lift damper is stuck hard

I would really like to get this sorted so I can gift it to a friend but just wondering if there are any Dual experts here in the UK familiar with this deck? Found a guy in the USA who will do a full service/repair on the 701 but obviously, the cost of shipping there and back far outweighs the value of the deck.

I will also be making a new plinth for it too but I just want someone to sort the deck out as I already have far too many other projects on the go ;)

ListeningEar, May 23, 2014
  2. ListeningEar

Eduard

Hello,
    I did have a 701 when i was a student some decades ago. It is built like a tank but everything related to the arm is a bit tricky to service. Once to start doing things that you are not sure about you are on your own. Unless you are a typical British craftmen that did could dismantle a sturmey archer 3 speed on his raleigh bike and get it working again.
    This an article in Dutch language maybe use google translate and study the pics.
    Good luck and greetings, Eduard

http://www.audio-creative.nl/projecten/restauratie-van-een-dual-701-platenspeler/

Eduard, Jun 28, 2015
  3. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

Thanks for you reply but I sold the 701 as a repair project some time ago ;)

ListeningEar, Jul 2, 2015
Ask a Question