DVD player with CD player manners?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Realistically the only reason I use my CDP not my DVDP for CDs is because it's nicer to use: it loads quicker, it's quieter, it's easier to navigate etc. But new retail it cost twenty times more than the DVD so it should have something going for it. As I use a separate DAC it does seem a bit of a waste though.
    So, are there DVD players that load CDs quickly have quiet drives and generally have the features you'd expect to find on a CDP?

(I realise they may cost a bit more than the £30 Philips I have)

Coda II, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Coda II

mr cat Member of the month

true...however, a lot of cdps these days use bog standard cdrom drives anyway...!

but when I was between cdps a while back I used my dvd player and it lacked oomph in comparison...and that was whilst using my same dac

mr cat, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Coda II

...except that it plays neither CDs nor DVDs perhaps?

Coda II, Oct 3, 2008
  4. Coda II

Hamilton

How much are you hoping to spend Coda II? I used one of the Pioneer DVD players as a transport for a while (DVP575 I think) and it worked pretty well and was straightforward and fairly quiet to use (and played SACD's quite nicely too). That was just over £100 when I got it - I imagine there's an equivalent model these days that would do the trick. On the other hand I did notice the difference when I switched to a proper CD transport - more life, especially at the top end, more detail, more foot-tapping. How much difference might depend on your DAC.

I've heard good things about TEAC/Esoteric DVD's as transports (though not actually heard them myself) but obviously that would involve a lot more money unless you got lucky second hand...???

Hamilton, Oct 3, 2008
  5. Coda II

More a question to see if such a thing even existed. Given our TV is antique I don't see any point paying proper money for a DVD player, and for now the one we have is fine. I guess I keep hoping technologies will converge in a manner that I would find useful: eg CD/DVD drive + hard drive all with a proper digital audio output. Probably more likely to arrive from the computer side at the moment, but the interface is the thing. Computer versatility with home audio user friendlyness (and that means being able to stick a disc in press a button and listen to music).

Coda II, Oct 3, 2008
  6. Coda II

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Jack Wallst I presume. :(

SMEagol, Oct 16, 2008
  7. Coda II

Labarum

Labarum, Nov 2, 2008
  8. Coda II

Antony

Antony, Nov 2, 2008
  9. Coda II

JANDL100

In my experience, a good CD transport sounds significantly better than a DVD player used as a CDT. More transparency, detail and drive. It can be worth the extra £.

JANDL100, Nov 2, 2008
  10. Coda II

To be viable the sound quality (via spdif) would need to be at least 'as good' as my current transport and the usability - load time, track selection etc. not significantly worse. Given the Oppos are multi format does that not impact on the load time? I had a Toshiba dvd rw machine that seemed to take an age just to load a dvd.

Coda II, Nov 3, 2008
  11. Coda II

Antony

I have a Meridian 588 so my Oppo 983 seems fairly quick in comparison.

Antony, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question