Ecc88 Valves.

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by jrarn111, Oct 31, 2009.

1. jrarn111

jrarn111

I have got an ARC SP11 which has had some comprehensive mod,s done to it which includes 6 SOVTEC ecc88 valves. What I am hearing now is a bright severe top end ( to my taste anyway) Does anyone know if a different valve eg a mullard would make the top end a little less harsh. Regards. Jim. p.s. this amp will be for sale in the near future if anyone is interested. my email: [email protected] mob 07803054952.
    The rest of my kit is RESOLUTION AUDIO OPUS 21, a pair of MCINTOSH 501's and KRELL RESOLUTION 2's. I also have a DAX DECADE which I am trying to find a TRANSCEND for.

jrarn111, Oct 31, 2009
  2. jrarn111

nando nando

Try Watford Valves Company,
    Nando.

nando, Nov 7, 2009
  3. jrarn111

zanash

sounds like something else is amiss ....I'd not call ecc88 on the bright side !

what furnishings do you have in the room ...lots of bare surface can cause harshness

zanash, Nov 8, 2009
  4. jrarn111

vincula

Well, on my Audio Innovations 500, while I wouldn't exactly say they sound bright, the Sovtek's can be a little lean and light sounding. I've got some ECC 88 Tesla's as phase inverters, which are warmer, adding some weight without thickening things too much (though I think bass get a bit too soft). I've swapped them with some Electro Harmonix 6922 Gold and I'm pretty happy with them for the time being. The self-bias circuit gives me plenty of chance for tube rolling. Dangerous, but fun :D !

If I had to go NOS, I'd probably pick some Sylvania military valves. This is much a matter of taste though.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Nov 8, 2009
  5. jrarn111

jrarn111

ZANASH. I have plenty of soft furnishings and carpet. It's probably that I have not allowed enough time for warm up and that the mod's done inc silver wiring have not had any time to run in. I can live with how it is. Just wondered if there was a more suitable valve, that's all. It does'nt matter now anyway as it's for sale. thanks for your input. Jim. How about some info on your mains cables. That cat is creepy.

jrarn111, Nov 8, 2009
  6. jrarn111

zanash

yes they will need several tens of hours to settle in .....

the most important reflections to tame are off the side walls and floor ...if you can break these up you will reduce the harshness.

she's harmless unless you have fur or feathers ...

as I took the pic she sneezed so the eye membrains came down ......I then just photo shoped some red eyes !

even the dax for sale ....?

I'm running a dax ....for all my digital bits [pun intended] its the best dac I've heard at any price ...you'll miss it if you sell !

zanash, Nov 9, 2009
  7. jrarn111

jrarn111

Zanash. I am not selling the Decade, but, I am looking for a Transcend. Regards. Jim.

jrarn111, Nov 9, 2009
Ask a Question