Entry level set up advice please!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JayDiddy, Mar 6, 2024.

1. JayDiddy

JayDiddy

Total newbie to music systems so looking for some friendly advice.
    I want to build a basic set up to play vinyl/cd/stream.
    I don’t have the confidence to know about buying second hand stuff so what would people recommend?
    Am based in West Yorkshire and happy to travel a bit to go and get stuff.
    Budget is about £750

JayDiddy, Mar 6, 2024
  2. JayDiddy

tuga

Many dealers sell used gear (usually from trade-in deals). This might be a good option as long as you avoid Emporium Hi-Fi.
    They will be happy to let you audition equipment and suggest alternatives for a given budget.

Buying a turntable is a bit risky but if buying from an audio forum classifieds section you should be ok (e.g. https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/).
    Parts for some older CD players have been discontinued and they should be avoided.

Audio Technica (direct-drive), Pro-Ject and Rega are safe entry-level turntables which come with an on-board phono preamp and a decent pick-up cartridge. Expect to pay around £250.

£750 is a bit short for a system with 3 sources. You can get a WiiM Pro streamer / amplifier and maybe a pair of small Q Acoustics speakers.

tuga, Mar 6, 2024
    JayDiddy likes this.
  3. JayDiddy

Hodges

Don't look to do do too much to start. A good second hand amp, even just a Power Amp would be a good start. Being and "Oldie". I was astounded at the quality of music available via a DAC, and not for much money either. In particular, an iFi Uno, for very little money. I have one driving my Quad 909 at the moment. This should leave you with enough left for a decent pair of second hand speakers.

Listening for a while to streamed music - a lot in Ultra HD will give you a good idea about what to buy when it comes to vinyl and CD's. With the amount of material available via streaming, I am thinking of going wholly over to it. The iFi was bought for my birthday by my son and what a cracking gift it is.

Hodges, Mar 19, 2024
  4. JayDiddy

Keats

Nad 3020 amplifier. Rega p3 turntable. Celestion ditton 44 speakers.

Keats, Mar 28, 2024
    Hodges and JayDiddy like this.
  5. JayDiddy

lawrence001

I've got a few bits I can sell you for a good price if you can collect from near Durham.

lawrence001, May 27, 2024
Ask a Question