Equipment Supports.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pete693, Sep 27, 2013.

1. pete693

pete693

Having just read the above article it reminded me of something that I have never understood.Just about every picture that I've ever seen of other peoples hi-fi shows their equipment placed between the speakers.It has always seemed to me that this is the worst possible place to put anything that may be subject to sound vibrations.I have always placed my equipment off to the side of my speakers.
    I have no idea wether or not this makes the slightest difference but it just seems logical to me.
    Anyone else got any thoughts on the subject?

pete693, Sep 27, 2013
  2. pete693

Tenson Moderator

I think it only matters if you use a turntable or valve kit that's significantly microphonic. Even then, I expect most of the sound that would be transmitted will be low frequencies and these tend to be radiated in all directions from the speakers. It's probably more important to make sure the kit is some distance from the speakers, and also that the location is not a hot spot for a room mode where the bass will boom strongly.

Luckily I use a PC as my source and solid-state electronics so I don't need to worry :)

.... then again I guess one of the reasons people like the sound of vinyl and valves is their small level of acoustic feedback making, in effect, a bit of added reverb. If you get a turntable with low resonance, an arm and cart combo with a ruler flat response and a low distortion low noise phono stage, a lot of vinyl enthusiasts won't actually like it because it sounds too clinical like digital sources ;)

Tenson, Sep 27, 2013
  3. pete693

RobHolt Moderator

The TT question is interesting. I did some experiments with my old Rega P9 which has a reputation for sounding clean, lean and CD-like and it's interesting to look at it's feedback signature.
    Placed in very close proximity to very a very loud sound source and acting as a microphone it essentially gives you a pretty clean low level replica of the source sound. Trying this with several other TTs gave more diffuse and smeary sounding output.

RobHolt, Sep 28, 2013
  4. pete693

Labarum

"Equipment Supports"? When I saw the title what came to mind was "Athletic Supports" - well there's the old fashioned jock strap, the more modern compression shorts, and for a section of the market there's the dance belt.

Most of us don't bother with anything very special and seem to get by.

So back on subject: any sturdy table will do.

Labarum, Oct 8, 2013
  5. pete693

pete693

"any sturdy table will do".

......but I guess you'd get a better response if you remove the jock-strap first.
    Pete.

pete693, Oct 8, 2013
  6. pete693

narabdela

There's a lot of dodgy received wisdom from the 1970s Linn/Naim hegemony clouding this issue, but I would agree with Tenson in post #2.

narabdela, Oct 9, 2013
Ask a Question