Eric Satie, Wonder Or .........

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by nando, Jan 12, 2013.

1. nando

nando nando

HE LIVED FOR HIS ART AND DIED AN ALCOHOLIC,
    to me his music will never die, his piano miniatures are the most sampled in all walks of modern music, although most people will know him best for "GYMNOPEDIES"
    in paris in 1917 it was almost imposible to buy an umbrella as fast as they were manufactured ERIC SATIE would buy them up, he had hundreds of the things almost completely filling his house,
    satie's lunatic ballet parade certainly confirmed the notion that he was two gymnopdies short of a trio, when he included in his orchestra the likes of typewriters, aeroplane engines, hand guns, factory items, live chickens and lawn mowers;
    i find that sort of thing very attractive in a composer.
    I LOVE HIS ART .
    MAY IT CONTINUE,
    anyone out there who does still play his music?
    rgards to ERIC SATIE (1866-1925)

nando, Jan 12, 2013
  2. nando

felix part-time Horta

Yes!

I have a wonderful recording of Gymnopédies et Gnossienes by Reinbert De Leeuw (on Philips , iirc) - where the tempi are really, really pushed. For example, De Leeuw plays (the famous) Gymnopédie #3 oh so very slowly - about half or even less of the usual tempo - and with such delicacy and sustain that it becomes something transcendental. The notes just hang in a continuum of expectation, sometimes defying it - it's truly wonderful music.

ETA: Found it - it is Philips Classics, catalogue no. 468 160-2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
    felix, Jan 12, 2013
  3. nando

nando nando

hi felix, i could not find the album that you have, although i have some others on vynil, i have found and bought one by JOHN LENEHAN, inc. three gymnopedies piano miniatures, very good it is,

nando, Jan 18, 2013
  4. nando

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Jan 18, 2013
  5. nando

felix part-time Horta

Aha. I've a lot of time for Jacques Loussier, esp his early Trios (up to /inc Vincent Charbonnier - fabulous bassist), but the key is - hear the original intent first.

JL makes no sense if you don't 'know' the music otherwise, and even then it divides opinions. To some it's borderline elevator music but in fact it's incredibly well-formed; an original take if of perhaps limited appeal that just got copied as an idiom, subsequently - and very badly.

Meanwhile, the original JL Trio take on Bach *is* worth hearing if you have an interest in re-phrasing of something you think you know.

felix, Jan 30, 2013
Ask a Question