Ethernet and wall jacks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ryan rock, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Ryan rock

Ryan rock

Apologize if this seems paranoid but have good reasons to believe my studio and bedroom are being monitored by audio by my landlord. I will spare my reasoning but its very valid and i was wondering why so many ethernet and phone, cable jacks are in my bedroom seemingly old but with shiny new screws bran new. Ground wiring also into some and an "active" hum sound unscrewing them. Basically are cat5, split coper, multi colored and tiny clear fuse cartridges possibly able to hot mic a room? There is definitely audio surveillance thats not a question but I wanted to see if these were a possible culprit? Thanks for any help or knowledge and im not paranoid i have a incredibly snoopy landlord

Ryan rock, Nov 16, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. Ryan rock

jbhunter1

Some surveillance equipment can definitely be plugged into ethernet and phone lines or attached to them. I have read that they are very difficult to detect, but phone companies can do line analyses that will (usually) find them. You might try taking your concerns to your local phone provider, and see if they can help. Also check for local companies who can do "bug sweeps".

A quick search online will get you more tips on how to find bugs. If you do find something, or if you have any safety concerns, contact your local law enforcement immediately. Such snooping isn't just creepy or annoying, it's illegal.

jbhunter1, Nov 20, 2020
    Ryan rock likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Ryan rock

Ryan rock

Thank you for your input and time. Appreciate it and have a great day!

Ryan rock, Nov 20, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question