external power supply

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by j10rkf, Jan 30, 2011.

1. j10rkf

j10rkf

Hello people i am new to this site so bear with me if this has been asked before so here goes, i have a musical fidelity x10 d tube buffer which i use on my Linn Genki cd player a bit strange i know but i like the combo, what i want to know is there a better off the shelf power supply i can buy to replace the stock one supplied , oh and what improvements in sound qulality could i possibly get cheers.

j10rkf, Jan 30, 2011
  2. j10rkf

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

What type of power supply does it currently use, AC/DC what current and voltage?

You can always better them, question is, is it the most cost effective upgrade?

sq225917, Jan 30, 2011
  3. j10rkf

j10rkf

Hi its ac230 12v, i did try changing the internal valves to ecc85 as recommended on a different forum site but this was a backwards step and put the standard ones back in,just to answer your comment i dont know if this would be the best upgrade or most cost effective being a novice,what would you suggest and do you know anything about the x10d cheers.

j10rkf, Jan 30, 2011
  4. j10rkf

zanash

ok ...I've moded a number of these ...assuming its the sqaure cased one ?

if not the following still applies... though some of the component values may be different .

if square remove the mother board and check transisters near the front of the pcb ...if you have any discolouration of the tracks or board ..you will need to fit a heat sink to the transisters as they run insanely hot ...I've some photo of an average example if your interested ..

yes an external ac unit will give you better sound ....but as suggested you need to consider your budget ....I'd personally spend no more thanĀ£100
    in total
    but you'd be suprised what you can do for that ammount

first you need as a minimum 75va [150va max] square frame transformer providing 12v ac on the secondaries ...you can go torroid if you want ..but they are rather more expensive ..

the next upgrade would be to work on the rectfier circuit on the pcb ..swapping the 1n004 [?] for hexfreds or schottky 30dq10's [which I used]...then replace all the truely horrible jamico caps and fit pannasonic fc or better.

the rca outputs are again of the cheapest varriety that mf could find [?] ...even the maplin bulkhead jobbies are audibly superior then wire the pcb to rca sockets with solid core silver in ptfe sleeve ..

the power umbilicle from the transformer can be made from silver or copper cabling ....

the output and input dc blocking caps should be changed for the very best you can afford ...I used too fit paper in oil ...but these are large so you are limited by space in the case, once you've fitted the heat sinks . But you need better than wima film caps otherwise you will emasculate the sound ....though not quite as bad as the fitted caps do !

you can replace signal path resistors vishay bulk foils would be my first choice but there insanely expensive ....so dale holco's or similar at a moresensible price could be fitted .

Note that the pcb is not the most robust ..and tracks can easily lift if too much heat is used to desolder components ...

if you want more detail then pm me

zanash, Jan 31, 2011
  5. j10rkf

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

J10rkf. What two components is this used in between?

sq225917, Feb 1, 2011
  6. j10rkf

j10rkf

Hi sq225917 the musical fidelity x10 (tubular cylinder shape) is used between a Linn Genki cd player and a musical fidelity xa1 amp cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    j10rkf, Feb 1, 2011
Ask a Question