Figure of 8 to IEC adapter query

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Jackthebiscuit, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

This left me scartching my head. I've bought a Pioneer DV656 to use as a transport for my Dax dac. Surprisingly for a cheapish Jap player, it doesnt have a captive power lead, but one of those strange figure of 8 ones (telefunken?). Not having the slightest idea on how to reterminate a decent cable with a figure of 8 connector, I bought from Russandrews, an IEC to figure of 8 adapter.
    Now here's the query. They say it doesnt matter which way around the figure of 8 end goes into the player. How come? Surely getting it the wrong way around would be like wiring up a plug the wrong way.
    Anyone able to explain please?

Rgds
    JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 17, 2004
  2. Jackthebiscuit

Sgt Rock

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Jul 17, 2004
  3. Jackthebiscuit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Mains is AC, so in simple terms all that wiring it up the "wrong" way around will do is put a 180 degree phase shift on the mains waveform. In reality, it's a little more complicated with common mode effects, and interactions between components.

I-S, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Jackthebiscuit

BlueMax

Use of a IEC-320 type C13 to IEC-320 type C7 adaptor is simple but it introduce more contacts. A direct connection can be obtained by using a 'Telefunken' Line Socket such as Maplin FT99H. 69p.
    It will also give you the option to use a higher capacity cable with good shielding. Can be soldered in.
    [​IMG]
    To get it the right way around, have a peak inside to find out the 'live side'. Then mark the inlet and the line socket with tape or Tippex.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
    BlueMax, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Jackthebiscuit

michaelab desafinado

Mains polarity isn't generally important. In most of continental Europe we have mains sockets and plugs which can be used either way around - there's no "correct" way. The only people here who care about it are audiophiles but it makes no difference to the sound that I'm aware of. I used a polarity checker to make sure all my hifi gear was plugged in "correctly" but I heard no difference at all from when it was all just random (some where correct, others weren't).

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 16, 2004
Ask a Question