first attempt at setting up a seperate system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dangermoose, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dangermoose

dangermoose

hi after my old trusty pioneer hifi gave up the ghost a few weeks ago i looked at maybe setting my own systemseperates

with amp cdplayer tuner phono -no real need for a tape deck lol

was just looking to set it up as cheap as possible at my first atempt and then maybe through time adding more expensive components once i knew what i was doing

so went and bought an amp (sony ta-fe 230) hopefully itll do the job to start with £ 45 off ebay

was wondering does all my components power off the amp or do they all need to be plugged in to power

plus do i have to get specific items or can i plug in any cd player tuner and turntable

sorry for being a bit of a noob on this but i suppose i wave to start somewhere lol

dangermoose, Mar 23, 2014
  2. dangermoose

RobHolt Moderator

Hi and welcome.

The Sony looks like a nice amplifier and should serve you well. Luckily it has a direct connection for a turntable and that makes the selection easier.

If you are buying from ebay or the used market, Rega turntables prove booth plentiful and reliable. Look for Planar 2 or 3, or P2 or P3. You want the ones with the straight black arm, not the older silver arm.

If you want a new Rega consider the RP1 which comes complete with cartridge for about £200.

For the CD player I'd perhaps stay with Sony to match the amp. They made many fine players over the years. Just make sure that the disc transport is working and that the laser doesn't stick or skip. For the Tuner, again Sony made some fine examples but also look at Denon, Pioneer or Nad.

All of these items will connect to the amplifier for signal via RCA phono connectors, and they must all be connected separately to the mains. They don't receive power from the amplifier.

Good luck, and if you spot something feel free to flag it here for opinion. If it's an auction ending soon, send a PM :)

RobHolt, Mar 25, 2014
  3. dangermoose

Tenson Moderator

The last thing is speakers then? Will you use the speakers from your previous system? They certainly make the biggest difference to the sound. It might be the first thing to upgrade in the future.

Tenson, Mar 25, 2014
Ask a Question