First system advice please - £1.5k to spend

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by funkymusic4life, May 16, 2004.

1. funkymusic4life

funkymusic4life

Hello All

I hope I'm not breaking any rules, as I posted this query on another forum. I'd like to get a diversity of views.

I'm newish to hifi & I have around £1,500 to spend on a 'new' system: cd player, amplifier & speakers.

From my reading, I would feel confident to consider second hand equipment also, as it seem more value for money.

I think I would roughly spend:

cd player - £400
    amp - £500
    speakers (standmount) - £600

Ok, I know this isn't the source first 3:2:1, but I feel this would work for me, unless you suggest otherwise

I like listening to a wide range of music, but especially like female vocalists and dance. The system and speakers should have a good solid *bass*. I don't want to use a subwoofer and don't have room for floorstanders

Also, if at all possible, would play well at lowish volumes. Room dimensions approx 3.5mx4m

Having heard a friend's system, I would really like something *smooth and laidback*. I've never understood what it meant when reviewers say 'a fatiguing sound' until I heard his bright 'harsh' system! Though I'm not ready for valve amps I'm afraid.

I haven't done a dealer demonstration of anything, so wide open to suggestions.
    If you could take some time out to recommend some components, that would be very helpful

thank-you
    FM4L

funkymusic4life, May 16, 2004
  2. funkymusic4life

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

Just wanted to say that it takes a long time (or it least it took me a long time) to discover that budgeting more for the speakers than the amp or the source is a very bad idea (unless you're buying active)

Its doubtfull that you will find an amp for your budget that will drive speakers at the price level you're looking at properly. Much better in my humble opinion, to put more into the amp that you've budgeted...like..

source 450
    amp 800
    speakers 250

buying second hand, that would get you plenty of great CDPs, a decent integrated amp with plenty of power, and you can still get loads of good speakers new and used for that budget..

good luck
    Chris

bottleneck, May 16, 2004
  3. funkymusic4life

fatmarley

Believe it or not, it's possible to have a lively/fun sound without fatigue.

fatmarley, May 16, 2004
  4. funkymusic4life

julian2002 Muper Soderator

funkymusic,
    welcome to the forum. 1st of all i'd recommend buying 2nd hand with the amp and speakers. there are an awful lot of very decent mid 90's equipment out there that works perfectly well and has more than halved in price. speakers especially.
    i'd not go 2nd hand with a cdp however there are some ex-demo bargains out there.
    take a look at audiogon and hififorsale for some good bargains or read the backs of hi-fi world and hi-fi news for the majority of ads.

it's a bit difficult to reccomend kit just for a 'laid back sound' but try some of the american brands, arcam, musical fidelity, quad etc. for amps. speakers i'm not sure about but probably a fabric dome tweeter rather than metal or ribbons are going to float your boat.

try to demo as much as possible there are some good 2nd hand dealers arround.

try quad cdp 99 with integral volume, arcam alpha 10, castle standmounts.
    not really my taste but would probably give you the sort of sound you're looking for.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 16, 2004
  5. funkymusic4life

fatmarley

Do you know what the components were in your friends system?

fatmarley, May 16, 2004
  6. funkymusic4life

hifikrazy

I dont think that, that sort of split is that unbalanced (especially if we're talking new). 500 amp with 600 speakers does not sound unbalanced to me - in many instances its the same price bracket for competition. The best balanced system (reasonably priced) i heard was that exact split. £400 for Marantz CD63KIS, £500 for Arcam Alpha 9 and £600 for the B&W CDM1s. I helped a mate put this together and it still represents the best value for money (bought new that is) that ive heard.

Some dealers have ex-dem trade in stuff that you can dem with new stuff as well. Having the money to spend in one go is a real advantage and will enable you to get a system that works together from the outset. I would advise you to take on board advice from this and hifichoice forum to select a list of possibles and find a couple of decent dealers to go and listen to some stuff. If you tell them you dont like harsh (bright can be misleading, but i know what you mean, i had a hell of a time finding components that werent too 'bright' when i first got into hifi) they should be able to help guide you in the right direction. There is no substitute for listening. If you tell us where you are someone maybe able to help you locate a good dealer.

Of course if you are prepared to gamble on putting a system together then buying secondhand from anywhere you find a good deal could reap real rewards but you run the risk of not liking the sound you get. Should this be the case you can always sell it on. But for a first timer this may seem too much hassle/complication!

Good luck, hope you find the sound you want. :)

hifikrazy, May 16, 2004
  7. funkymusic4life

funkymusic4life

Thanks for the input so far.

I think my (ex!) friend's system had a rotel amp, and I do recall him saying that his speakers had metal tweeters, so I will avoid those types.

Buying 2nd is a little daunting as it will be difficult to demo equipment together at the same time.
    So as some of you have suggested, going to a dealer who also stocks ex-demo will make it easier, even if it may limit my choices.

I live in london by the way, so any dealers with patience and a good range of old & new would be useful to know about

thanks again
    FM4L

funkymusic4life, May 16, 2004
  8. funkymusic4life

second hand in london?

You could try walrus www.walrus.co.uk - although being a high end retailer their trade in second hand stuff may largely be too dear.

KJ West One have a clearance shop in Peterborough called ''the trading station''. I would imagine they would order stuff from there if you wanted to buy it?

As mentioned www.audiophilecandy.co.uk, ebay, classifieds here, pink fish, hifi choice, naim etc all have kit, classifieds in the mags..., www.exdem.co.uk too.., www.emporiumhifi.co.uk ..

PS
    In my humble, a pair of CDMNT's or CDM1SE driven by a basic arcam is hearing the speakers at 1/4 of their best..just not driven properly, and is exactly what I meant before... all IMHO as stated..

bottleneck, May 17, 2004
  9. funkymusic4life

A0S

Walrus are great, there's no hard sell from Les and Pete. They are well worth a visit and should be able to put together a system for £1500, though as Bottleneck says that is pretty much close to the bottom of their range. Neverless they will give you sensible advice and make sure you are happy with any purchases you make from them.

A0S, May 17, 2004
  10. funkymusic4life

Saab

I have just changed my amp,so i have an Audio Analogue Puccini SE for sale,4 yrs old,non remote model,and in mint condition.I paid £350 for it,after bartering,so i am happy with £275 (its £695 new)

I am in Surrey,i dont mind bringing it round if you want a listen

Saab, May 17, 2004
  11. funkymusic4life

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Audio-T usually have a selection of secondhand kit.

An Arcam Alpha 9 CD player should set you back about £300 - £350 (and is plenty good enough for CDM1NTs ;) )

And Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 amp is a good match (the 10 would probably be better to wake up CDM1NTs :D )

Some of the Arcam DiVA range should be within reach now too. The CD92 is good, basically a prettier Alpha 9. And the A85 amp is well regarded.

As for speakers, the Mission 773e is well worth a listen if you can still find any. Midrange performance is well ahead at the price and this speaker is fast. Suits smaller rooms well too and will work well close to a wall.

I'm not a great fan of Marantz CD players but the Marantz PM7200 amp is a good performer and can be had new within your budget.

technobear, May 18, 2004
  12. funkymusic4life

michaelab desafinado

The successor to the Alpha 10, the FMJ A22 would be even better...and I just happen to be selling one here :)

On the recommendation of Walrus - nothing against them but it's a bit of a valves and vinyl place. Wouldn't be my first recommendation for someone starting out with £1500 who didn't want a valve amp and wanted a CD based system.

Michael.

michaelab, May 18, 2004
  13. funkymusic4life

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Funky - you have PM.

stumblin, May 18, 2004
  14. funkymusic4life

greg Its a G thing

I would emphasise that if you endevour to avoid *bright* systems you may also inadvertently avoid combinations that might suit you best.

I personally dislike a bright sound yet ended up with a Cyrus amp, but paired up with my Ruarks it sounded forward and engaging but not bright and female vocals and dance music are members of my favoured music club.

After reading advice here and elsewhere, I would then place your problem in the lap of someone like Walrus and see if they can present three (ideally) different setups to compare and contrast.

Another shout for the used market btw.

greg, May 18, 2004
  15. funkymusic4life

greg Its a G thing

Good point actually.

greg, May 18, 2004
  16. funkymusic4life

blakeaudio

then again if you don't want a bright sound, tubes might be the best way to go... personally i love them. plus they always get the wow factor when anyone comes round.

blakeaudio, May 18, 2004
  17. funkymusic4life

if you only intend to have one source, you could always consider getting a power amp with a volume control on it...

a good used and ex-dem starter system..

arcam alpha 9 cdp (350 used)
    ruark talisman II (350 used)
    leaving you with 800 for a big fat used amp yeah! you could get the big NAD integrated for that.

sounds pretty damn good setup actually.

bottleneck, May 18, 2004
  18. funkymusic4life

blakeaudio

or a cd player with a variable output straight into a power amp...

blakeaudio, May 19, 2004
  19. funkymusic4life

Lt Cdr Data om

quite a common question this sort, maybe we could do a recommended components at price points...be interesting.

anyway.

my take on the subject.

i find expensive speakers makes a big difference, this is where the most obvious thing is, so no probs in buying dearer. Got to differ in opinion with chris on this...

cd players.
    around £400

marantz obviously, ki 6000, but s/h for £250
    ki 63 very good indeed, more 'forced' and fun.

got to be the only real choice IMO

amps., more interesting, I suggest vavles.

for transistors, about £500

the puccini se is very good, very refined and detailed, the older one is said to be better, again s/h

you can pick up something better than average ie marantz or nad for this kind of price.

however, I would be radical and say for £400 or so each, you couldn't do much better than an old ki63 and a pioneer a400.

I haven't really kept touch with newish british amps for £500 or so, so can't really say, obvious choices are MF.

Perhaps a naim cd 3.5 and a naim integrated amp, will give the most enjoyment for your cash. highly recommended if you buy carefully s/h

Finally speakers, standmounts, a few, B/W , mission, Jamo concert 8s if you can find them, harbeths, proacs, dynaudios

WRT valve amps, you can get some good cheap ones on ebay if you look. Unsurpassed at this price. Look for 6l6, 5881, el34 and 6550/kt88 as output valves.

my choice apart from the valves,

naim cd and amp
    spx: cdm1se, quad 12, insert other enjoyable spx here

hmmm just read the post properly:rolleyes: , for this, I would go for an MF system, maybe a xcd, an x100 r, look for carefully used egs on ebay,
    and a pair of reasonable sensitive easy to drive speakers.
    again , the b/ws' or similar

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, May 19, 2004
  20. funkymusic4life

liamjf

Just to let you know, I still have a Marantz 63KI cd player for sale, £190. I'd suggest a second hand pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 or Monitor Audio GR10 speakers (around £600). Maybe a Nad S300 amp and enough left over for decent interconnects and speaker cable/stands...

Cheers, Liam.,

liamjf, May 21, 2004
Ask a Question