Fitting a variable vta adjuster to a rega plinth

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by rsand, Jan 30, 2012.

1. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

The current platter mat and cart combo has thrown the vta out quite considerably to the point the arm lift isn't able to lift the arm high enough (I've added a shim on top of the arm lift as a temporary fix) and the back of the cart is not very far off the record.

The current cart has one of these fitted http://www.thecartridgeman.com/isolator.htm which is raising the cart a lot. This cart is only with me on loan so I know vta will change again when I get my own cart and then again when I fit an achromat as funds allow. I know I can get shims from rega but the idea of something adjustable like the michell appeals but I'm unsure how to enlarge the hole in the plinth without making a mess of it?

Or should I stick with the shims? Wouls washers from b&g do the same job?

rsand, Jan 30, 2012
  2. rsand

RobHolt Moderator

Just use washers or shims for now.
    That Isolator thing attached to the cartridge should go - the last thing you should do with a cartridge is decouple it from the arm. It reduces energy input into the arm tube but that energy still exists and has to go somewhere. Those devices can reduce the effects of tube ringing but kill dynamics in the process.
    It also runs completely counter to Rega design philosophy.

RobHolt, Jan 30, 2012
  3. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

I'm struggling to source the spacers Rob, there are plenty of the 3 point ones on ebay but none for the screw in type.

Are there standard washers I could use?

rsand, Jan 31, 2012
  4. rsand

RobHolt Moderator

Best i can suggest is to measure the arm mount and plinth hole, then have a look in one of the DIY superstores for something that will do the job until you fit another cartridge.
    Certainly if you go for the Denon it works without any arm spacers.

RobHolt, Jan 31, 2012
Ask a Question