Fools....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robM, Aug 8, 2008.

1. robM

robM

Quote: My biggest problem is in dealing with people who decry a concept without actually checking it out for themselves before publishing their opinion on the concept.

This was a quote by another member on a now closed thread.

I have seen this so many times here and on other forums....why do some of you feel the need to do it? I read on another thread about the use of the VPI rim drive would be detrimental to the sound.... I now use one on my HRX and it's GREAT! The person that said it would be bad hadn't even heard it!

So...why do some of you feel the need to do it?

robM, Aug 8, 2008
  2. robM

Corruption

I guess some people place exceptional importance on their own opinion and other people's acceptance that their word is gospel, regardless of their own experience or expertise in the area under discussion.

I'd like to coin the phrase "vicarious validation of self-importance or self-worth through virtual media" - how does that sound?

I'm sure Mr Freud would have been able to explain it better.... :)

Corruption, Aug 8, 2008
  3. robM

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Wouldn't it depend on whether they were saying it WOULD sound that way or whether they were simply speculating that it MIGHT, from a purely theoretical point of view?

The latter is fair enough if you ask me. There's a fair few people around who are interested in turntable design.

Uncle Ants, Aug 8, 2008
  4. robM

lbr monkey boy

Totally agree with Uncle Ants.

Attempting to pass off speculation as experience is naughty and unhelpful, but I've not seen that too much fortunately.

Expressing a view on how something might sound, based on past experience, physics, whatever, is fair enough IMHO. More importantly, it's interesting and fun. This would be a quiet place if all we ever talked about was the equipment we've owned.

lbr, Aug 8, 2008
  5. robM

freefallrob

I only tend to post on stuff i've had 1st hand experience with ( that's why I don't post alot !:eek:), sometimes i'll mention stuff i've read about, but i'll say 'i've read about it'......

freefallrob, Aug 8, 2008
  6. robM

SteveS1

You soon get a feel for who might do that. It is less a problem on here than on other forums. Particularly manufacturer sponsored ones IME.

Steve

SteveS1, Aug 8, 2008
  7. robM

PumaMan

If people now state a case/fact as true or proven then I always now challenge them to prove it and state their sources.

After all if it is true and proven then they should be easy to list and provide for our perusal.

I havent yet had one challenge come back with any.

Funny isnt it!

PumaMan, Aug 9, 2008
  8. robM

zanash

As someone who feels that in the past a certain clique would jump on my posts .....belittling them and in the worst case actually calling me a liar...

even when other members said they had heard the same from the unit under discussion. I can fully appreciate how infuriating it can be.

I have said this before [and expect to have to say it again] that if you post and say in the definitive rather than as uncle ants says maybe or might ...without first hand experience, your leaving your self open to at the very lest ridicule.

Its a shame that in the past people have persisted with thier skewed view even when presented with opportunity to listen first hand. Declining all efforts to let them experience it, often with the reply " I know it can't possibly work so why should I bother "........

For me this heaps arrogance on top of ignorance ! a very dangerous combination.

Thats not to say you can't have your own opinions .....buts its also good to keep an open mind.

zanash, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question