Gain setting on Audiolab 8000Q pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pgr, Jan 16, 2022.

1. pgr

pgr

Hi, I recently acquired an Audiolab 8000Q pre-amp + 2x 8000M Power monoblocks to drive my Mission 753 speakers.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions about the "gain" setting it has:

1. I was told that if set to 0, it was a more direct channel of sound, with less electronics involved, so it would provide (theoretically) the best possible sound. Is this truth or myth?

2. Of course I've made my own comparisons as to best settings, at different volume levels, or different CDs even. But I am curious if others can share their own impressions here. Do you keep it always at the same level? Which one? Or do you keep changing it? What is your acquired wisdom about that knob?

Thanks!

pgr, Jan 16, 2022
  2. pgr

Sergeauckland

1) That's nonsense. There's the same amount of electronics regardless of gain settings. What varies is the gain, and that's so you can optimise the setting of the volume control so it's not all down at the bottom end. Adjust the gain so your normal listening level is with the volume control above half-way, even better, three quarters round.

2) You may need to change the setting between LP and CD, and possibly between different CDs depending on how they have been mastered. Look at it as a coarse volume control that will optimise the trade-off between noise, overload margin and volume control action.

Don't be afraid to use it.

S

Sergeauckland, Jan 16, 2022
    tuga and pgr like this.
Ask a Question