Garrott Stylus replacement

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by demon, Nov 30, 2020.

1. demon

demon

Hi . . I'm new here . . . thanks guys . . .
    I have a rega planar 3 turntable with a Grace cartridge that needs a new stylus. The current styus is a Garrott P-66.
    I'm told the stylus needs to be a moving magnet type.
    I have been to RadioParts . They sold me a compatible Soundring replacement Diamond Stylus (D 186 SR). The audio result is poor in comparison to the Garrott.
    Any advise or recommendations greatly appreciated.

demon, Nov 30, 2020
  2. demon

Sergeauckland

Contact Expert Stylus in Ashtead Surrey. ([email protected]) and ask them about retipping your cartridge. They have done two of mine with complete success. They use their Paratrace stylus profile, which is a line contact profile similar to vdh. I tried one other cartridge restorer in the UK who ruined my EMT cartridge, but ES were great.

By the way, there's no difference in the actual stylus between a MM and a MC stylus, just the mechanical mounting, the P77 has a removable stylus carrier, most MCs don't.

Expert Stylus really do live up to their name.

S

Sergeauckland, Nov 30, 2020
  3. demon

demon

thanks . . i may go down the track of retipping the stylus if a replacement is giving no joy.

demon, Dec 1, 2020
Ask a Question