Getting 5.1 Surround Sound through LG C1 Smart Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BasalGanglia, Feb 20, 2022.

1. BasalGanglia

BasalGanglia

I recently upgraded my TV to a 4K Oled LG C1 from a Panasonic 1080p Plasma. I watch films via MKV files stored on a USB Pen connected to a Smart Blu-Ray player. This was connected to my Yamaha RX-V377 AV Receiver through the ARC on the blu-ray 1080p player.

Since I don't really use Blu-Ray Disks and just have MKV files and would now like to watch 4K films I decided to just use the USB connection on the side of the TV as the Smart BluRay player is only 1080p. I then connected a HDMI cable from the TVs E-ARC to the ARC ion the AV Receiver to carry the sound.

Does this mean that the TV Smart app will only output 2.1 sound as opposed to 5.1 surround? If so is there an app that could be used through the TV that will use 5.1? Or am I going to have to buy another Smart Bluray player and put the USB pen in there to get the 5.1 sound in 4k?

Also I have a HDMI cable going straight from the PC to the TV and another HDMI goes from the E-ARC on the TV to the ARC on the AV Receiver. Does this also mean that playing games would be restricted to 2.1 or are they all like that anyway? I previously was using a digital Audio cable but thought it would be an upgrade to the sound to get it though HDMI via ARC. Or is there a better way to connect the PC such as PC->AVR Input reather than PC-TV Input with TV E-ARC to AVR ARC Output.

Was also tempted to upgarde the AV Receiver to a Yamaha RX-V4A as this has an E-ARC output and HDMI 2.1 ports that can carry 4k in 120Hz mode. But not sure if this is worth it since am I current in thinking the way I have it set up now will get 120hz anyway.

BasalGanglia, Feb 20, 2022
Ask a Question