"Go from my window" Nigel North

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by midlifecrisis, Feb 14, 2005.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

SACD on Linn, by Nigel North; collection of Dowland lute pieces. Now the music is fine - each piece on its own is charming, though you wouldn't necessarily want to listen to the whole lot in one go. What grabbed me however was the recording quality - absolutely stunning. I heard first track Greensleeves on a freebie CD that came with a magazine (HFC? HFN?) and that was pretty damn good, but the SACD is something else. Highly recommended if only for the shallowest reasons!

midlifecrisis, Feb 14, 2005
  2. midlifecrisis

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Another Linn SACD I'd recommend is the Palladian Ensemble's Disc "Les Elemens", music by Marais and Rebel, very enthusiastically played and a thrilling listen that held me from start to finish, even though early baroque stuff is not usually my cup of tea. Sound quality is superb.

alanbeeb, Feb 16, 2005
  3. midlifecrisis

aguycalledsimon

more Nigel North

When I used tro work in Audio excellence in the early 90'S I got a couple of linn CD's of his - one a solo recital with a stunning transcription of Bach's chacconne from the solo violin suites, and another with Jill Feldman singing italian love songs - both are truly excellent andf are must-buys if still available, and are on my R2D4 list

On the other hand, if you fancy a bit of Dowland I can recommend the complete lute sets on Harminia Mundi by Paul O'dette or if you are feeling extravagant the box of works (mainly vocal) on L'oiseau Lyre - i have the original LP's and they are exceptional

Cheers

Simon

aguycalledsimon, Feb 17, 2005
  4. midlifecrisis

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Dowland should be played LOUD with disco beat, therefore sound quality is essential

bat, Feb 18, 2005
Ask a Question