Goldring Eroica LX - Very low use and Mint.

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Sid and Coke, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

FS: Goldring Eroica LX - Very low use and Mint. - SOLD

I'm selling my Goldring Eroica LX cartridge. It was bought by me on the 17 Jun 2005 and fitted to my deck a few days later and so is only about a month old. RRP about £130 ( slightly cheaper if you have a part exchange )
    The cart is in Mint, almost as new condition ( it is electrically, mechanically and cosmetically perfect)
    I would estimate that it has probably had about 50 hours use, but don't keep track of the number of records i play each week. All of my records are either brand new, As new, Mint or scroupulously clean s/h items so this Cart has lived a very cossetted life, It has been tracked at 1.7 grams exactly and is indistinguishable from a brand new item.
    Photos available via e-mail if required. I have the item scheduled to start on E-Bay at 11:00 monday 25 July Item number 5791979572 but will cancel the auction if i have a firm offer before then.

Looking for £85. (Inc UK P&P) if sold via this board.

Some pictures: http://imageevent.com/sidandcoke/goldringeroicalx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
    Sid and Coke, Jul 24, 2005
  2. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

Now SOLD

Sid and Coke, Jul 27, 2005
  3. Sid and Coke

Lt Cdr Data om

how is it versus the shure, I have a shure v15? interested to know, tim thx

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

As far as budget cartridges go i don't think that the Eroica LX is too bad at all, it just wasn't for me in the end. I had heard it's name mentioned over many, many years as it used to be well recommended in all of the mags. One of them products that you've just gotta try i suppose, maybe the fact that the name Eroica sounds a little rude was the flame to my moth....

It didn't actually do anything too wrong and i enjoyed it's company for time that i had it. I think that i would choose another Eroica LX over the 1000 series MM carts that it shares its stylus with if i had to choose beteen them, especially as i now have personal experience of both.
    I thought that the upper treble just wasn't as sweet and as well controlled as it could be, mybe a little spitty if i'm being honest. I also thought that I could detect more record surface noise and mechanical vinyl roar. This was despite spending a stupid amount of time ensuring that it was correctly set up . Set up is very easy with the Eroica , because of the shape of the body and its general arrangement. The midrange sounded very safe and just didn't exite me , not fruity enough. No problem with the bass , but again not as quite as refined and well controlled as other carts i've tried.

I put the V15VxMR back in place the other day, whilst i figured what else i was going to do , or try, and have to say that I've been playing a lot more records over the last couple of days. I instantly felt happier with it. I like every single aspect of the xMR , even the bloody packaging and instruction manual is top quality ! The fact that the stylus is replacable is another factor. I actually like the look of the cartridge , it looks like a purposeful machine. Basically If the Shure V15VxMR isn't the best Moving Magnet cartridge out there , then it has gotta be in the top 5... Folk go on about Musicality and i have to say i often scoff at these comments, I take it all back though, I've never used the phrase 'Boogies' in any of my creative writing before, but if a cartridge can, then the xMR does... It produces almost a flat response across the whole audible frequency range and basically stays in control of all of them, from the deep, deep bass that it produces to the well defined highs. I'm sure that the fancy diamond tip has something to do with this.

I have been listening to an old tatty copy of Never Mind the Bollocks the last few days and my wife had cause to comment why i kept playing 'That old punk rubbish' stuff over and over again. Atmosphere , the Shure drags out shovel fulls of the stuff. Johnny Rotten was sneering in my living room and i could almost hear the rest of his band of muppets and liggers grinning and sniggering in the background whilst he did it.....

Don't get me wrong , i'm on a bit of a mission at the moment and am planning to try a few other models of cart over the next few months. I'll probably end up with another Denon DL103 too , just to make sure that the grin it induced the first time i tried it wasn't just a fluke.

There is one tiny aspect of the Shure that I don't like , and that might be down to partnering equipment, specifically my budget Phono stage. That is, it suffers from a little background noise, not enough that i could call it Hum, but getting close. It disapperas completely when the music is busy.
    Modifying my Rotel Phono Stage to increase the gain did reduce this, so maybe a better Phono stage will sort it out..

In a nutshell... Hmm Both the Eroica and the Shure are good cartridges, I found the the Shure's sound exciting and the Eroica's not so. The Shure has an RRP of about £325, the Eroica about £125,obviously this is an important factor.

HTH, and apologies if my narrative isn't upto review standard , I'm a simple folk.... ;)

Sid and Coke, Jul 27, 2005
Ask a Question