Good game, good game.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Great game on Saturday and good result too. Feeling more positive about the WC now. We've got some great players in the team and they seemed to click on saturday.

Rugby wasn't bad either. Still lots of weaknesses that the AB's will no doubt exploit next week but always nice to beat the aussies.

Heavymental, Nov 14, 2005
  2. Heavymental

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I saw the match. It was a friendly. For most of the game we were played off the park by a team whose technique made us look like a pub team. We don't have a left back. Beckham just is not good enough at this level. When it matters do you think they'll give Rooney such little attention?
    We'll be lucky to get out of the group!

Bob

Bob McC, Nov 14, 2005
  3. Heavymental

la toilette Downright stupid

Jesus Bob, you're not the most positive person in the world are you? Doom and gloom aplenty! Yep, at times we looked ordinary, but the attacking play by England was aggressive and effective and cause for at least a little optimism, after some crap recent games.
    Sure it was a friendly, but both teams played a competitive game. I certainly felt that both England and Argentina wanted to win, didn't you?
    If you watch lots of international football you get the impression that the majority of teams look ordinary and very few produce really fantastic football with any regularity.

England to win the WC? Well hey, Greece won Euro 2004......so stranger things have happened!!

la toilette, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Heavymental

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Neither positive nor negative merely realistically refusing to be bamboozled by the usual false prophets.

Bob

Bob McC, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Heavymental

angi73

Don't you mean England V Australia, the real game? :D

angi73, Nov 14, 2005
  6. Heavymental

Heavymental

I don't see how you can say this. I thought we played better than we have for a long time with several exceptions (Bridge and Young weren't great). I thought Beckham had one of his best games in an England shirt for a long while and Rooney was exceptional and Gerrard and Lampard had solid games too. We pushed forward for most of the game, never looked short of confidence and attacked well.

Thats half the benefit he brings to the team, with defenders panicking and sticking to him when he's near the box it leaves gaps for Owen and others to exploit. Thats partly why he's so dangerous. That and the fact he's strong, has excellent technique and can score goals. As much as I think the guys a thug I'm starting to think he's the real deal. And at only 20 years old I think we've got a gem there.
    I also don't think you can say that because it was a frindly its not a real representation of what it will be like next year. Both teams wanted to win this game, they always do because theres history between the teams.
    I think it was a good starting point for next year. If we play like that we'll certainly make it past the group stages.

Heavymental, Nov 15, 2005
  7. Heavymental

T-bone Sanchez

He means GB V New Zealand. That was a proper game.

T-bone Sanchez, Nov 15, 2005
  8. Heavymental

Heavymental

There were some great games over the weekend. The England/Aus game was pretty good and good result for GB too. Shame Ireland got pumelled by the AB's and Wales vs Fiji on Friday night was awful.

9. Heavymental

T-bone Sanchez

GB were quite excellent on saturday night, looking forward to the aussies on saturday.

10. Heavymental

angi73

Eh, T bone, havent you got it the wrong way round??

I've actually got tickets to england V all blacks
    this weekend (yippie!) ,and I actually saw (on TV) england v Australia last weekend.

angi73, Nov 15, 2005
  11. Heavymental

Heavymental

Rugby League Angus!

Oh and enjoy the game on Saturday...could be a really good one but I fear the AB's will run away with it. Atmosphere will still be good though, although its a shame the south stand is missing at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  12. Heavymental

T-bone Sanchez

yes RL, proper rugby.

13. Heavymental

angi73

Ah I see. Should have realised when you used "GB"

angi73, Nov 15, 2005
  14. Heavymental

T-bone Sanchez

Yes Great Britain, although technically with Carney playing its Gt Britain and the Rep. Ireland. We do have a national squad that consists of all those who didnt quite make the GB squad.

T-bone Sanchez, Nov 16, 2005
Ask a Question