Graphite vibration footer with ball bearing

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by KenCalgary, Sep 5, 2009.

1. KenCalgary

KenCalgary

Boston Audio Design Tuneblocks are award winners and the website says "TuneBlocks utilize the uniquely low acoustic impedance of carbon graphite to efficiently drain mechanical energy from audio components, while simultaneously isolating the component from the shelf or table supporting it. You'll notice reduced transient smearing and increased resolution through the reduction of the components' noise floor. TuneBlocks also improve localization of instruments and create a wider and deeper sound stage."

Reading up on the properties of graphite, and based on the company's claims, I thought I would try a DIY since I didn't have the funds for the retail version.

It was relatively easy to find a supplier of graphite rod in the dimensions I wanted - and they cut it to size - plus I easily found a supplier of various 1/2" ball bearings so I chose ceramic for hardness and colour contrast (white sitting on the dark grey graphite). I obtained twelve pieces of each for a total of about $70. One problem with graphite is that the dust can rub off (think of soft pencil lead) so I used my granite counter top sealer and wax before drilling a 1/2" depression to fit the ball. Three seem to work very well under my pre-amp and since they can easily accommodate heavy weight I may put them under my amp as well. I have Vibrapods/cones under my CD player but that may change also.

KenCalgary, Sep 5, 2009
  2. KenCalgary

Noel Winters

i have a Boston T/T graphite mat works very well. I also have
    Vibrapods/Cones under my T/T and speakers arranged in boxes
    with a floating top 34 V/P in all they also work well. but i suppose you can always improve cant beat a tweak. Noel W.

Noel Winters, Sep 6, 2009
  3. KenCalgary

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Hope they work, Bostons claims of them acting as a drain and an isolator are spurious, you can be one or the other but not both.

Either an energy sink, which they are, or an isolator, but not both.

sq225917, Sep 7, 2009
  4. KenCalgary

DavidF

Vibes are transmitted down through spikes ie drained away.

Not absorbed by them though eg for floor bourne vibs?

DavidF, Sep 8, 2009
  5. KenCalgary

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I thought a forum was all about discussion, rather than simply you stating your opinion and claiming 'that's that'..

what is it about spikes that allows them to work as a diode for vibration, do you have any proof to back up this supposition.

sq225917, Sep 8, 2009
  6. KenCalgary

andyoz

Their comment is strange.

Acoustic impedance can be used to determine the level of energy transmission between two different materials. The energy is either reflected back to the source or is allowed to flow into the material (a mixture of both really depending on their relative impedances). You can't have it both ways?!!?

andyoz, Sep 8, 2009
  7. KenCalgary

DavidF

....er, I think there was question mark there, no??

My undestanding was that that was what they did.

Not instantly, no.

:)

DavidF, Sep 8, 2009
  8. KenCalgary

Nigel

9. KenCalgary

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

David, unfortunately your understanding, along with most people who read hifi magazines without engaging their brains is incorrect.

You either isolate or couple, you cannot do both at the same time with rigid parts.

You can only do both with 'springy' parts at fixed frequencies depending on the sprung weight and resonance of the system and input vibrations. And balls and carbon aint that..

sq225917, Sep 18, 2009
  10. KenCalgary

DavidF

I don't read hi fi magazines.

Other than that I'm sure you are quite right.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
    DavidF, Sep 20, 2009
  11. KenCalgary

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I've had a number of components constructed from graphite - mats, platters, isolators - I didn't like the result.

As sq states - 'it' is either isloating or coupling. Having said that, a structure will not provide an equal level of coupling (or isolation) at all frequencies - that's not quite the same as saying that it also provides isolation (just not as close coupling).

YNMOAN, Sep 21, 2009
  12. KenCalgary

Chris Davies

Chris Davies, Sep 21, 2009
Ask a Question