Has anyone built a Lack support table

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Jul 28, 2003.

1. zanash

zanash

I was wondering if anyone had built one of these ?
    And if so what were the pro's and con's of the design.

For those who don't know the Lack coffee table is an Ikea product. Being light and stiff, it should be the ideal support for tt's like the LP12.

A couple of people have asked about equipment support and as this on the face of it appears to be a cost effective solution.

I've been considering this as a project but always like to approach things with my eye open.

Yes a I know a siesmic sink is more effective, but as always budget is the constraining factor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2003
    zanash, Jul 28, 2003
  2. zanash

zanash

Just because I can't spell ....does not make me a bad person.

More to the point, I can't type either

Oh yes, anyone else having bandwidth problems on this site? Seemed to take an age to download, and forever to update.

zanash, Jul 28, 2003
  3. zanash

merlin

Zanash,

I use beech Lack tables under most of my gear............ trouble is there is a Seismic sink between them:D

Having said that, I prefer the combination of the sink and Lack, to that of the Sink and a glass & metal rack, so there must be something in it.

Before I got the sinks, I used to just use the Lack, indeed the AV setup is still on one:eek: Seems to be fine to me, certainly gave a smoother presentation than some of the angle iron I've tried over the years. And at £12 you can't really go wrong for heaven's sake;)

merlin, Jul 28, 2003
  4. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Pete

Ive got a Lack.

(who said a LACK of any knowledge to do with hifi?? SLAP!)

Its basically compressed paper with a wood veneer. The underside of the table I have doesnt have any veneer on unfortunately, just the top, sides and legs.

I cant see it being better/ worse than a similar MDF type of coffee table from anywhere else...

Were you thinking of making a whole rack out of it?

bottleneck, Jul 28, 2003
  5. zanash

zanash

That depends on the redies but, I'm looking to swap the origin live skyline [for a bit]. The sky line makes it imposible to store any thing underneath.

So the idea was to use two or three lacks with shortened legs, spiked to the one underneath. I'm hoping to be able to level with the home made spikes [thearded rod through a nut epoxyed in place].

I've got some intresting damping material, foamed butyl rubber, has the feel of sorbthane and is quite dense. Decathlon are selling it as camping mat, so I though what the hell lets see if I can make anything intresting with it. I had the though of gluing a sheet of this to the underside of the table top.

Its just ideas floating around the ol'noddle at the moment.

zanash, Jul 28, 2003
  6. zanash

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

I've built an equipment support from Lak tables. If you would like a picture, send me a pm with your email address.

JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Aug 3, 2003
  7. zanash

mick parry stroppy old git

Zanash

There is an old saying......buy cheap....buy twice. I suggest you buy the Siesmic, even if you take a bit more time before you buy iy. That table will make your kit sound good for years to come.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Aug 3, 2003
  8. zanash

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Mick.

Funnily enough, my cd player sits on a Siesmic Sink.

JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Aug 4, 2003
  9. zanash

zanash

Mick just remind me of the cost of a seismic sink.

How many Lack's can you build for the same cost ?

I would expect the lack plus bits would be able to get within about 20-30 % of the performance of a siesmic sink [I'm guessing here ].

I have no doubt the sink is an excellent performer , but I get more pleasure from building the things myself.

As I recall the sinks "sit" on air bladders, which isolate each shelf. Now I understand that one bag of air might sound different from another but the differences will not be huge !

zanash, Aug 4, 2003
  10. zanash

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Pete,

Why don't you make some homemade air suspension platforms. Should be no problem for a man of your talents. Plenty of areas for experimentation. Various different top & bottom plates, different no. of tubes, different amounts of area, etc.

Kermit has done a design on his web site.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/whoamigriffiths

Combined with the Lack should make interesting findings.

Air suspension can offer excellent isolation against groundborne vibrations.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 4, 2003
Ask a Question