Headphone amps/integrated headphone jack

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baad4, May 14, 2021.

1. Baad4

Baad4

Hello, first time user here and need some help with this question please, I have a Rotel A14 integrated amp that has a headphone circuit that is in parallel to the pre-output through a 330 ohm resistor. I need to know what this means and is this integrated jack on the amp good enough too drive my headphones. I have Sennheiser hd 599 @ 50 ohm, AKG-702 @ 62 ohm, and Hifiman Sundara @ 37 ohm. Or do I need a external headphone amp to drive all of these cans? Thanks for any help I can get from you guys.

Baad4, May 14, 2021
  2. Baad4

Sergeauckland

Firstly, are you sure that the headphone output is in parallel with the pre outputs? That's most unusual, they're usually taken from the power amp output through a resistor of a few hundred ohms.

Assuming that's the case then I don't see any issues with driving those headphones to satisfactory volume levels.
    One issue is that the source impedance of 300 ohms means that the frequency response of the headphones will be affected if the headphone's impedance varies with frequency. Most don't by enough to make much of a difference, but a few do. Unless you have measuring equipment, you'll have to listen, and if they sound OK, then they are.

An external amp will only help if a) the headphones have an impedance that varies by more than, say, 25%, b) the headphone amp itself has a very low output impedance and c) you don't like the sound of the headphones through the A14.

Technically, the A14 will be fine driving those headphones.

S

Sergeauckland, May 14, 2021
  3. Baad4

Baad4

Hello Sergeauckland, the info in my question came in part from someone in the Rotel support chain, I wrote down word for word what was pasted down to me. I do get good volume from the amps headphone jack just thought the part on the 330 ohm resistor mite be a problem, new at this matching thing. thanks for the help, my amp will do the trick.

Baad4, May 14, 2021
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  4. Baad4

StevenHayes

Which headphone is better and reliable? Can you please give me ideas? I also want to buy a pair of headphone for me.

StevenHayes, May 23, 2021
    Baad4 likes this.
  5. Baad4

Baad4

The Hifiman Sundara of the three pairs of cans I own. They sound great to me and I'am up there in age. Check out reviews on Them, the Sennheiser HD599 are also good and cost less

Baad4, May 23, 2021
    StevenHayes likes this.
  6. Baad4

Sergeauckland

I don't have a recommendation, headphones are even more personal than loudspeakers as comfort is very individual.
    For a technical answer to what's best, have a look at AudioScienceReview.com They have measured a stack of headphones at different prices.

S

Sergeauckland, May 23, 2021
    StevenHayes likes this.
  7. Baad4

StevenHayes

What is the cost for it? Can you please give me a guess?

StevenHayes, May 26, 2021
  8. Baad4

StevenHayes

You are right! May I ask you a question which one are you using right?

StevenHayes, May 26, 2021
  9. Baad4

Baad4

The Hifiman Sundara go for $350, and the Sennheiser HD599 go at about $199 to $250, but you can find some cheaper headphones out there that sound good. Let your ears have the final say.

Baad4, May 26, 2021
  10. Baad4

Sergeauckland

Koss Pro4AA and AKG 270P. I'm not much of a headphone user, as I can't get used to the sense of the music in my head.
    I use the Koss mostly for live recording as their isolation is better, but they're heavy on the head. The AKGs I think sound better to me, so get used more at home, and they're a lot lighter.

S

Sergeauckland, May 26, 2021
Ask a Question