Help - Floor Standing Speakers on Suspended Floors (longish)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Dear All,

I've been following Penance's Speaker Support thread over in the DIY section with some interest.

What is the general view on the best way to interface a pair of floor standers with a suspended wooden floor. I've just moved house. Both old and new have suspended floors.

In the old house it was above a 6 foot high cellar, in the new above a 2 foot void. Also the new house has much more solid floors (they are new and I had extra joists layed under the speaker position)

In the old house they were spiked to the floor - in the new I've mislayed my spikes (in a box somewheres no doubt) and as a temporary measure am using three large blobs of blutac per speaker.

In the old house bass could sometimes be a little out of control, but there was plenty of it. In the new its much more controlled but there isn't enough and also the whole thing seems a lot brighter.

I'm assuming that a change from hard coupling the speakers to what is in effect a big resonant box to decoupling them is the main issue here but
    a new cart and a new larger room less stuffed with stuff is probably muddying my ability to work this out as well. But the same issues were noticable for the few days I had it all set up with my old cart before I trashed it and with CD as well - so I don't think its the cart.

I guess when I find my spikes and fill the room with more books and stuff that I may have some of my answers, but in the meantime any sage thoughts on how best to deal with suspended floors would be much appreciated.

It seems to me that I need some sort of halfway house, but can't see that there is one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

They look interesting. A sort of thick carpet tile, but made of magic acoustic carpet. One under one of my speakers would be a bit big (Auntie wouldn't be best pleased). Mind you - one of these cut in half might do the job. Is it feasible to cut it in half?

Edited to add: Though re reading the review - mebbe the smaller MoPad might be better.

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

Kef Q55.2s. I'll measure em up when I get home. Do you think the MoPads are physically too small or just unable to cope with the weight?

PS. I found some MoPads here
    It seemed to me that two under each speaker would do the job, but you suggest otherwise.

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Juboy, forgive me if I'm wrong here, but you do have a vested intered in Auralex sir?

wadia-miester, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Uncle Ants

juboy

You are forgiven. I have absolutely no vested interest in Auralex and care not where you buy it from.

I do supply a retailer of Auralex with Internet services, but would suggest that if that makes me unable to comment on Auralex, yourself, as a cable retailer and CD player modifier should be unable to comment on cables and/or CD players. Does that sound reasonable?

juboy, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Uncle Ants

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I will politely request that this not become a repeat of the last thread where these items were mentioned.

I-S, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Uncle Ants

'ere. Whats happened to my thread? I go for a pint at the Student Union for lunch, come back and some of the posts have disappeared and I seem to have trodden on some stealth mine from a past thread.

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Uncle Ants

You didn't. Juboy's thrown his toys out of the pram because a previous thread in which he was pushing the same product he was in this one got rather ugly and I requested that not happen again.

I-S, Mar 11, 2005
  9. Uncle Ants

zanash

Back to the problem.....
    new house ....painted plaster walls ? am I right or am I right ?
    That will be the problem ! [maybe ...hedging his bets]
    That nasty first reflection off the painted wall with no nice layer of damping material I mean wall paper.

Have you carpets down ? what, I hear you cry "on my lovely wooden floors"

sit in your listening position with a mirror and a wooden stick ......move the mirror till you see the tweeter reflection ....mark position of mirror do for other speaker. Get a nice rug [ or two ] and cover the maker spots.

Let us know how you get on !

zanash, Mar 11, 2005
  10. Uncle Ants

juboy

It wasn't that, it was the leader of the campaign for plain English's inane and incorrect contribution that made me realise it's not worth trying to help.

juboy, Mar 11, 2005
  11. Uncle Ants

Hmmmmm??? "What on my lovely new wooden floors????" :) We have a large rug. Actaully old house - but the walls are newly plastered from about three feet down (the ground floor was dry rot riddled and we've had to replace the lot. Think you could be warm. The Pink Fishies suggest I forget about it until I've sorted the room out (apart from those who suggested that what I want is Mana :rolleyes: ) ... and I think its probably sound advice.

That said. There still isn't an answer to the fundamental question. What is the best interface betwixt speaker and lovely, traditional, British ... but most probably unspeaker friendly suspended floors and said speakers?

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  12. Uncle Ants

Chaps. Found the thread Isaac refers to. Didn't read all the way through, but I get the picture. Seems to me that from that thread, those who had tried the product in question were largely positive, but I don't want to get involved in a to do over it. Sorry, life's too short.

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  13. Uncle Ants

juboy

I can't quite believe that someone will miss out on possibly the best solution to their problem because somebody else thinks, incorrectly, that I benefit from Auralex sales.

What a valuable resource this is.

juboy, Mar 11, 2005
  14. Uncle Ants

You're the one who deleted your response juboy, no one else.

I-S, Mar 11, 2005
  15. Uncle Ants

juboy

Only because the accusations that I might be pushing the product to make money is not only wrong but also snide and childish. If that's the way people want it, good luck to them, I'll be happy to assist where I can.

juboy, Mar 11, 2005
  16. Uncle Ants

Juboy, I'm quite happy to talk about it - it sounds like an interesting solution. Whether you have an interest or not is something as an adult I think I can probably make a judgement on myself (and I don't mean to be rude Isaac - but hey - its my thread y'know - so chill - I don't need protecting). What I don't have an interest in is getting involved in a slanging match.

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  17. Uncle Ants

juboy

Good man. There are plenty of online reviews you can check, all say pretty much the same thing. Good luck with sorting your problem anyway :)

juboy, Mar 11, 2005
  18. Uncle Ants

The Devil IHTFP

Get some Mana soundbases.

The Devil, Mar 11, 2005
  19. Uncle Ants

Get some therapy.

Uncle Ants, Mar 11, 2005
  20. Uncle Ants

Uncleants - I was simply trying to avoid a repeat of the last thread. I have no issue with auralex products, and the suggested part looks like it could work for you, although its construction looks like it will not work if cut (1 foot at each corner).

As for snide comments, I and other people who put their time into this forum do not appreciate things like

I-S, Mar 11, 2005
Ask a Question