Help! Mad Incatech Volume Pot!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by danza, Oct 27, 2004.

1. danza

danza

Hi all,

My Incatech Claymore arrived today. I can only say I'm totally amazed by the sound this baby produces, but anyway, back onto the subject...

The guy I purchased it from replaced the volume pot, which originally was an Alps model, but as he couldn't find an Alps at as cheap a price as I could, I agreed to have it with a standard effort pot fitted. The pot in it is a 10k log type. I am not sure whether this is correct though. I say this because it takes less than 1/10th of a turn to reach almost full volume from zero output, and any higher, I reckon damage to the speakers will occur. Even in the 'zero' position I can hear quiet music when it is playing!

My speakers have a sensitivity of 87db/W/m. Could it be that the pot is the incorrect value, and I need something with higher resistance, or is it that the Claymore is just dang powerful?

Any advice greatfully received dudes,

Danza

danza, Oct 27, 2004
  2. danza

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

That sounds very wrong to me. I had a Claymore knocking around a couple of years ago and the volume control was very nicely balanced, IIRC about 9.30-10 o'clock gave a reasonable listening level off CD and about 11-12 o'clock from the (excellent) MC stage.

It might be worth duplicating your post over on pfm as Colin Wonfor does occasionally read the place – I remember asking something and shortly afterwards getting a very helpful email off him (sadly I've lost his contact details). He will still service the Inca Tech stuff if you can track him down, IIRC he lives somewhere in the wilds of Scotland. The Claymore is as you describe - a really good amp.

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 27, 2004
  3. danza

danza

Cheers Tony,

I've posted everywhere; PFM, HFC, Audioasylum. Hopefully someone has an answer!!!

Danza

danza, Oct 28, 2004
  4. danza

technobear Ursine Audiophile

As it's a log pot, this sounds like the pot is wired back to front. The end that should be the input signal is connected to ground and the end that should be ground is connected to the input signal. The output signal is I hope taken from the wiper.

technobear, Oct 28, 2004
  5. danza

danza

Hi Technobear,

I would've thought that the pot would only go in one way anyway-the pins are on the bottom of it, and if it's resituated as you say, won't it be the wrong way round? I'm confused.

Ta

danza, Oct 28, 2004
  6. danza

technobear Ursine Audiophile

One would hope they all go the same way round. The behaviour you describe suggests that it is the wrong way round though, that's all. Do you have a multimeter? You could measure the resistance of each side at the half way mark. The top end should have considerably higher resistance than the bottom end.
    This behaviour would not be caused by fitting the wrong size (say 10k instead of 47k).

technobear, Oct 28, 2004
Ask a Question