HELP needed on Techie Tonearm Rewire.

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by DaveKen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. DaveKen

DaveKen

Hi All,
    I'm rewiring my standard Techie SL1200 tonearm and it's all gone remarkably well until it came to the last bit, putting the tonearm wire Cardas connectors on the pins of the Headshell connection module that is attached to the end of the tonearm by 2 small screws. Specifically these connectors appear to be soldered onto the spring loaded pins and I have been unable to remove the old connectors to enable the new ones to be put in their place. Being as these spring loaded pins are housed in plastic brute force and ignorance or a hot soldering iron (in my hands :) ), are likely to do more harm than good.
    Has anyone any removal advice to offer? Alternatively the module could be easily posted if anyone is willing to remove the old Cardas pins for me. Another alternative might be if someone has a new module, or an old one without the soldered Cardas pins still in place, for a reasonable price, or can point me in the direction of where I could obtain one, I would be very grateful.
    I will also post this appeal on another forum.
    Thanks for any response,
    Dave.

DaveKen, Aug 2, 2010
  2. DaveKen

speedy.steve

Are they crimped on?
    I've taken many a old tonearm wire off the contacts - all have been soldered.
    Trick is to plug a headshell in and use an aluminium heatsink on the shank of the pin to prevent the plastic surround melting around the spring and rendering it ineffective.

If crimped then I would either just cut them off and solder alongside or carefully prise open. Carefully heatshrink with small bore tubing or use suitable push on micro PVC tubing if you can get it.

speedy.steve, Aug 6, 2010
  3. DaveKen

DaveKen

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your input. At the end of the day I did just as you recommend. Used a Maplin 'Helping Hand' to hold it vertically and act as a bit of a heat sink and got my soldering iron up to max. I held the iron at the side of the soldered tag contact whilst pulling gently but firmly upwards on the tag with a pair of long nosed pliers (another heat sink :) ). Aftr a few seconds off came the tag. Repeat three times and job done :D .
    I've completed the job, put an opera record on and the fat lady sang, so the jobs is now finished officially.
    Dave.

DaveKen, Aug 7, 2010
Ask a Question